Access Form data Input partial clearing of fields

DRANDON

Hello. I am creating a form for standard patient data input. I have a button that clears all the fields when the user is to enter a brand new patient. However, there are times when the patient stays the same. There is other data to enter for the same patient. How can I clear fields and leave the patient name and account number fields the same?

And then of course the new record for the same patient will be correctly recorded in the table.

Thank you so much in advance. Happy Holidays everyone.

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
Do you have autonumber field and is it set to primary for the records as you can't duplicate the autonumber, what are the field names you want to clear?

Upvote 0
Sorry, I don't know what an "autonumber" is. I created the form by selecting the table and clicking "form" in the create ribbon. I think that means all my fields are bound. The fields I need to clear are "Department", "Rev Code", "Date of Service", and a few more. I think that I may need some vb type code to do the clearing but I'm not sure. I am familiar with VBA in excel just not so much in Access. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Upvote 0
That is not an inbuilt feature of Access. Why wouldn't you just have all the fields you need on the form already so you only have to enter data for the patient without having to do it again?

Upvote 0
I'm not sure of what you are asking. I have a form built and it has all the fields I require. I have a button that saves the record (entered) and it then clears all the fields for the next patient. I also need a button that will allow the user to enter more information for the same patient (patient used a band-aid and then some gauze). When the user is to add data for the same patient I would like a button that clears all the fields EXCEPT the patients name and account number. So when the new record is saved the table will hold the patients name and account number twice with a band-aid and then some gauze. This way the user does not have to manually enter the patients name and account number two times.

Upvote 0
Why not put the band aid and gauze stuff in there when you have the record up the first time? Why is there a need to do it once, then again?

Upvote 0
Have the user remove "band-aid" from the field and then enter "gauze"? My users would feel as though they are replacing "band-aid" with "gauze" not adding it. I would like to create a more intuitive user interface. I wish to write the record, then clear certain fields as a prompt for new data.

Upvote 0
You need to look at a relational database this sounds as though it is a single table (flat database). Consider this, one patients main details in a table and then all the treatment and medication is held in another table you join the two tables together so you are only holding the patients details once and all the treatments in another (many). If you are already using this database you should look at normilization to split the records into two tables. There are plenty of youtube vidoes you can watch.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It does sound like you have a flat table structure to me also, which is not good for data entry or any else really. As far as having the patient ID automatically show up again, as I said it's not an inbuilt feature. You'd have to script your form with VBA (save the ID and other fields you want to reuse, then repopulate the fields on the new record).

With a better table structure, you'd build a main form with a subform, Main form would be "patient", and subform would be "things used". The main form would stay on the patient record. The subform you'd just add things to as needed.

No idea why you'd want to torture staff by making them write down when they use a band aid. I wouldn't bother.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you Xenou. The band-aid and gauze was simply an example. This whole project has to do with auditing medical records with respect to Payer reimbursement. More like high cost drugs, procedures, implants, etc. Thank you for all your feedback everyone.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back