My database is slow suddenly?

behedwin

Hi
I have had a constant size of my database for almost a year.
Now suddenly my database have become very slow.
First i thought it was my network since i got the files on a server.
But running some test i get 50-70 Mbps. So it should not be a slow network.
However, if i put my database on my local computer it do get much faster again....
I dont understand that!!

I have the file split so i got a frontend and a backend.
It have been fast for over a year and i have done regular repair/compacts of the files.

Any ideas of what i can do to fix this. I dont even know where to search for an error....

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
However, if i put my database on my local computer it do get much faster again....
That would seem to suggest it may be more of a network issue than a database one. Especially if nothing significant has really changed with your database.

Has anything changed at all? Office upgrade, etc? Or how you are connecting to the back-end (i.e. if you are doing it remotely, etc)?

Upvote 0
I would also like more information about the setup. Curious why you mention size. What is the size and has it changed? What kind of server are your files on? Why not just put it on your local computer?

Upvote 0
This is at my work, so not really sure what the server setup is. It is a shared folder for me and others at work. The access file is used by others, thats why it needs to be on the network drive.
It is connected by linking (ip adress) to the backend that are in a folder on the same network.

If i take a copy of the backend and frontend, put them on my local drive and connect them together. Then the db works as normal again.

The size of the db i just mentioned to say that it havent really changed in how much data is on it.
The frontend file is 6.4mb
the backend file is 1.4mb

Whats really make me wonder even more now is that i tested to connect to VPN from my home computer to my work and then open the db.
Then the file was really fast.
When at work it is slow and it is not just me, it is 6 other users with 6 other computers that are complaining to me :S

We all run Access 2016 and W10 on our computers.

Its like the network is really slow from my work computer... but when i start a software from my work computer to test the network read/write speed to the folder where the db is saved/stored i get 50-70Mbps.

Edit:
could it be some cash folder that are slowing things down after a while. so each computer that is used to open a db makes it slower and my home computer connecting over VPN is fast because it havent used this db much?

Edit 2:
I tested the speed from my home computer. Connecting to VPN and then measuring how fast read/write is to the folder where the db is stored.
This time i got 100Mbps from my home computer... so it is double the speed over internet instead of our local network at work. Is this not strange? Can the speed be the issue here that our 50-70Mbps is slow... i cant really tell....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Its like the network is really slow from my work computer... but when i start a software from my work computer to test the network read/write speed to the folder where the db is saved/stored i get 50-70Mbps.
It really sounds like it is issues having nothing to do with Access, but rather network/connection/account issues.
I would recommend getting your IT team to look into it.

Upvote 0
Yeah the relationship with IT is a bit strained :D
I have already pointed out the issue but they say that network speed is fast and have no issues :p

Upvote 0
I'd probably assume that network speed (plain and simple) is not the problem (it would likely be intermittent if so). Is there faster speed when only one user is connected (can you get everyone else to sign out?)

Note:
what does this mean:
It is connected by linking (ip adress) to the backend that are in a folder on the same network.
How are you using an IP address to connect to your backend? Normally with Access you use a filepath.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Instead of filepath to i have set the true adress so that if any user dont have the correct filepath on his computer i:\\folder\folder\backend
instead i have 179.168.33.1\folder\folder\backend
it have worked for over a year!

what do you mean by intermittent? (i think this is a language thing)

i have tried the db from work at my work computer in the middle of the night when the company is closed and no other activity is on the network (more or less).
I have tried during the day and there is not difference in performance.

the only difference in performance is if i connect from my home computer to the network and run the db.
or if i move the db to my local work computer and make a new connection to the backend (on the local computer).
then it becomes faster.

Upvote 0
The database is a native access database? no other calls to other database (i.e., standalone, other than being split)?

Curious but why is the front end so big compared to the backend?

As for the definition of intermittent, suggest you google "define intermittent" and then you will know.

Upvote 0
No other connections to other databases, just a split access database.

I have really no clue why the frontend is so big.
Backend have 15 tables
Frontend have 33 querys, 25 forms, 12 reports, 8 modules

Never done a access project this big before, so have no clue how big files usually are....

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grijken

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back