Does Importing Tables from Another DB Create Permanent links?

AlexB123

Board Regular
Hi all,

I am working on changes to a number of forms for a production database. In order to implement the updates, I made the changes to a development copy, deleted all tables, and imported all the tables from production.

This seemed to work fine and I had the "new database" up and running, until I was asked to "clean up" the earlier copies of the database. When I moved those files (the previous "production copy" where I had imported from) to another folder, the new database no longer loaded (i.e., no initial forms, no startup, just a system crash). When I returned the files to their original location, the new database continued to work.

As far as I know, Access creates copies of the table objects in the new database (the importing database)... but there seems to remain links to these tables. Where are these links located? How do I sever the relationship with the previous database? How can I troubleshoot this problem?

Grazie

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
When you import, you are given a choice of importing or merely linking.
You should have chosen the import option.

Put the old DB back in the original position and start again, choosing import not link option.

Upvote 0
Actually, I did choose import, not link. That's why I'm confused as to how any "links" still exist? In the db, all the tables show they are part of the file, not as links.

However, the tables were imported from a split database back end. It is this file, when moved, that prevents the DB from opening.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No, as if you import the tables from the split back end, you effectively make the tables local again.?

Upvote 0
This seemed to work fine and I had the "new database" up and running, until I was asked to "clean up" the earlier copies of the database. When I moved those files (the previous "production copy" where I had imported from) to another folder, the new database no longer loaded (i.e., no initial forms, no startup, just a system crash). When I returned the files to their original location, the new database continued to work.

What exactly happens when you say you get a system crash? Is there a message? Can you open the database at all? Have you looked at the tables in the database to see if they are linked or not?

Upvote 0
It just launches the Access application, and doesn't load anything. I can't open the database as a regular user, or with the shift key.

The tables are not linked ... but there is definitely some remaining connection with the back end.

I am in the process of trying to improve the DB, and splitting it is on the agenda, but I am having to manage user expectations as well as handle any issues that come up with an incremental approach. That is why I ended up importing the tables back into a "local" file ...

Upvote 0
It's a little weird that it doesn't do anything (apparently). If there is "something" still linked then you'd expect that thing to not work, but not everything to not work. Not really sure how complicated your db is. You could try importing half the tables, to see if the problem is in that "half". Then keep cutting down until you isolate the problem (a binary algorithm essentially - if there is one problem table you should be able to narrow down the problem to it in a half dozen steps or so (or less, if you are lucky or can make educated guesses).

Note that it is really hard to understand what you are saying because it makes no sense at all. Try to be extremely specific about what you are doing and what the results are. For instance, if you can't even open the database, how did you import the tables into it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Note that it is really hard to understand what you are saying because it makes no sense at all. Try to be extremely specific about what you are doing and what the results are. For instance, if you can't even open the database, how did you import the tables into it?

Sorry, it's kind of difficult to describe. I can open the database *when the back end file is still present in the working directory* ... the database will not load or launch only when I try to move that back end file out of the working directory.

Let's suppose I started with database_A (the original). I wanted to make changes to a number of the forms and split the DB, creating database_B and database_B_be. When a number of issues presented, I was forced to revert back to database_A ... this reversion included my boss asking me to get rid of the split database. So I opened a backup copy of database_A, I deleted all the tables, then I *imported* all the tables from database_B_be --- let's call this database_C.

Now, database_C works, but database_B_be is still in the same directory as database_C. When I try to move it away, suppose into a folder called "OLD_DB", database_C will not open or load, MS ACCESS merely launches. When I return database_B_be to the working directory, database_C will operate as normal.

Apart from the solution you recommended, I want to understand why there is a "connection" when there are no explicitly linked tables.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
When I open a split DB and the backend is not available as windows does not refresh the network path at logon, I get and error message that it cannot be found.?

Upvote 0
One possibility is lookups in the tables. Not sure how many tables you have. You could also recreate the tables (not import them), then import the data (not the tables).

So I opened a backup copy of database_A, I deleted all the tables, then I *imported* all the tables from database_B_be
Why is *imported* starred? Are you emphasizing that you really imported the table or that you sort of imported the tables but in some unusual manner?

I think it should still work correctly if you leave the original tables in A and just append the newer data from database B_be. (Note, to be clear, by doing it this way, you can be absolutely sure you have not changed the tables at all or really anything in the database at all - except the data in the tables. So, not importing tables or changing tables or changing anything - just doing the append queries to add the data).

You could also proceed in steps. Start with some of the tables, check that the new database works. Move database B_be to "OldFolder" and see if it still works. Then proceed with a few more tables. This should help narrow down which table is the problem. (In fact, you would first start with just one table as step one, to verify that the process works at all). With some luck, you will find that for most of your tables, there is really no problem. And then you'll get to a group of 3 or 4 tables that you import and suddenly there's a problem ... so now you know that the problem is in one of those three or four tables. If you feel that certain tables or types of tables can't really be an issue then you could try doing all of those first as well ... so work in some educated guesses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back