Help Getting Started on First Database

L

Legacy 48831

Hello Everyone,

First let me say that I genuinely want to learn how to use Access to build databases, I am just looking for guidance and have hit a brick wall trying to figure out my project.

I have never built an Access Database and was wondering if someone would be willing to assist in pointing me in the right direction on determining the best way to build my database. I have included many details below for a basic understanding of what I am trying to accomplish. If there are other details needed for a better understanding please let me know and I will post them.

What I am looking to do is initially convert an Excel spreadsheet to a database. I have a number of spreadsheets but if I can figure out how to get started I should be fine going forward. The spreadsheets contain columns for: Part Number, Description, Vendor, Vendor Part Number, Unit of Measure, Cost, and Weight in oz.
There are any number of rows including the data for each of the columns as well as calculations for the following additional columns: Qty, Extended Weight and Extended Cost. The purpose is to calculate the total cost, the final selling price and a sum total of the weight of the "Assembly" or "Assembled Product". There would be a field as well for including a percentage in either margin or markup to calculate the final selling price (Retail Price).

I know I need a table for the "Products" that includes all of the fields to contain data for each individual product. I also think I need a table for the "Assembly" product and a form to enter the products that make up the assembly but I cannot figure out how to get started connecting everything properly such as a form field for the "Part Number" so when it is entered either manually or by a drop down selection that the other fields on the form automatically fill.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
Hello,

From what you are describing, I'm gathering there is a One to Many Relationship between Assembly (1) and Products (Many). A Form that shows all the 'Products' in an 'Assembly' would require a subform within the form. The main form could have the fields from the Assembly table, and the Subform would show all the Products associated with that Assembly. There are many helpful youtube videos out there that describe how to create a subform in Access. Good Luck!

Upvote 0
Thank you CPGDeveloper,

I had not considered a subform up to this point. I'll try the subform and see if I can get it going. I have tried Access a few times over the years but always seem to get stopped at querys and relationships, so I would give up. This time I am determined to accomplish this task once and for all!

I appreciate your help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocbudda

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back