value you entered violates the settings

Tacti_Steve

Hello,

New poster here so I apologize if this specific question has been asked. I've searched all over this forum and Google and cannot find the solution. I have two databases where the only difference is which computer they're on. The db was built on comp1 and then copied to comp2. All linked tables were moved to onedrive and both db's reference the same files from onedrive.

The db is meant to pull inventory updates from various vendors download the files, find certain products, do some things and then create an output for our system to upload.

Everything works fine on comp1. Always has. On comp2 it regularly throws an error "you cannot record changes because a value you entered violates the settings defined for this table or list (for example, a value is less than the minimum or greater than the maximum). correct the error and try again". If we close the db and reopen it (macro's run on open) it will eventually run without any errors. And the output is all correct.

It seems to be throwing this error on the first query it runs. This query looks at our inventory levels and imports them into a table in access. Again both db's reference the same source files. Everything between the two db's is identical. Please help this is very annoying.

I don't like to raise alarms unnecessarily but one drive (or in general any remote file systems) is not generally for MSAccess. Access is a file based system so there is no safety provided for lost packets or bad connections. It's a little complicated topic - for instance, certain VPNs and remote desktop apps are fine (they don't actually send data across the wire, just connect you to the machine where the data is stored).

You might want to decompose this problem so instead of running everything automatically when you open the database, you open the database then run the macro (preferably in steps, with good error checking for each step). The error message itself sounds like a custom error message so you could look into precisely what is happening when this error occurs.

But overall, you might also want to search for a more robust way of handling for remote operations.

I don't have any experience with MSAccess and one drive which is why I hesitate to weigh in, but it sounds a little iffy to me. Some similar advice:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...onedrive/880e752f-9d66-41d9-838e-d80e45ba5a17
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/35562666/how-can-we-share-a-backend-ms-access-2016-on-one-drive

I started with everything on the PC then once it was running smooth I transferred it to OneDrive. Even if I take it from the PC to the laptop without OneDrive I get this error. It happens on the first query as I have run it in stages. The first query takes a linked table and pulls out the products that need inventory updates. The linked table is an output from our store system. Just weird that it works on the PC either directly or via onedrive but not the laptop. Even worse is that it is not consistent.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Makes it sound like there is something about the configuration of your laptop is different.
You mention linked tables - does the laptop have all the same drive mappings as the PC?
Does it happen immediately, or do you need to run some sort of script to map the drives?

Upvote 0
The first query takes a linked table and pulls out the products that need inventory updates. The linked table is an output from our store system.
What exactly does this mean? What is the linked table actually linked to?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skydd

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back