Automatically importing an XML file to Access?

SomethngWicked

Board Regular
Hi Access Wizards,

I have a MS Access 2010 Database that I use to import an XML file on a daily basis. The XML file is generated each morning via FTP and lands in the same folder as the Access database. Is it possible to have Access automatically pick up/import this file? The XML file name stays the same with the exception of the end date (e.g.: FileName_03182019). This is a somewhat tedious process and it would be awesome to somehow automate this step.

I've done some preliminary research online, but I can't find anything conclusive. Thanks for the help!

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Hi Access Wizards,

I have a MS Access 2010 Database that I use to import an XML file on a daily basis. The XML file is generated each morning via FTP and lands in the same folder as the Access database. Is it possible to have Access automatically pick up/import this file? The XML file name stays the same with the exception of the end date (e.g.: FileName_03182019). This is a somewhat tedious process and it would be awesome to somehow automate this step.

I've done some preliminary research online, but I can't find anything conclusive. Thanks for the help!

Yes, it is possible, but not in a particularly elegant way...

3 options:

1. If the database runs every day (because at least one person logs in every day) then you could have, as part of the startup code a check to see whether the XML folder has been scanned yet today, or whether the XML file was last imported (depending on what exactly you want). I'd use a table which holds values such as "Date XML feed last imported" and if this is not "today" then go and import / scan for a new file and import it.

2. If you have a copy of the database that runs 24/7 (not everyone does, but I had a client who had a copy of the database with a whole series of this sort of task, scheduled to run at different times each day) then you can use the OnTimer event to check once a minute "Are there tasks to run at this time today that haven't already run" and one of these tasks could be to import the XML file.

3. You can buy a commercial solution, such as FMS Inc's Microsoft Access Scheduler (Total Visual Agent): https://www.fmsinc.com/MicrosoftAccess/Scheduler.html

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
9Kimo3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back