DoCmd.OpenReport with Criteria Question: Please Help

emjohnson7

Hi there,

I am working on some reports – I need to replace the “name”with a query that goes through 67 names in a loop.

DoCmd.OpenReport "Report - Change Month in Title eachtime", acViewPreview, "", "
![Send ReportTo]=""name""", acNormal
Below is my entire code thus far. I can get the email portion to work with thequery, but I cannot with the opening the report. Please help.
Code:
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]Function SendEmails()[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]   Dim strSQL AsString[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]   Dim SendToEmail AsString[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]   DimReportRecipient As String[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]    Set db = CurrentDb[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]    ' Use the nextlines to define and open the query that identifies all unique "SendTo" values.  Replace the SQL I havebelow with the proper SQL[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]    strSQL ="SELECT DISTINCT Ownership - VP Level].[Send Report To], UserInfo.[Workemail] FROM UserInfo INNER JOIN [Ownership - VP Level] ON UserInfo.Name = [Ownership- VP Level].[Last, First];"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]    Set rst =db.OpenRecordset(strSQL)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]    ' Scroll thru therecordset[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]    With rst[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]        Do Until .EOF[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]           ReportRecipient = ![Send Report To][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]          SendToEmail = ![Work email][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]            ' Storethe value in the Send To field of the current record[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]           DoCmd.OpenReport "Report - Change Month in Title each time",acViewPreview, "", "[Table]![Send Report To]=""name""",acNormal[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]           DoCmd.SendObject acReport, "Report - Change Month in Title eachtime", "PDFFormat(*.pdf)", SendToEmail, "","", "REPORT TEST EMAIL", "This is a test to see if theemails will be sent properly.", True, ""[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]           DoCmd.Close acReport, "Report - Change Month in Title eachtime"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]            .MoveNext[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]        Loop[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]        .Close[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]    End With[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]    Set rst = Nothing[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]    Set db = Nothing[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]End Function[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Thank you!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
As a new user you cannot post without approval if the subject gets moderated, so please don't post the same question multiple times to force a bypass. The information is in the guides you agreed to when joining, also code needs to be wrapped within CODE TAGS

Upvote 0
As a new user you cannot post without approval if the subject gets moderated, so please don't post the same question multiple times to force a bypass. The information is in the guides you agreed to when joining, also code needs to be wrapped within CODE TAGS

Thank you, I did not know how to put the code in quotes. I also did not know that I submitted the question twice. Thanks for helping me.

Upvote 0
If I understand you correctly, you would concatenate your name to the WHERE criteria?
You need single quotes if it is text, none if numeric.

Code:
          DoCmd.OpenReport "Report - Change Month in Title each time",acViewPreview, , "[Table]![Send Report To]= '" &name & "'",acNormal

Upvote 0
If I understand you correctly, you would concatenate your name to the WHERE criteria?
You need single quotes if it is text, none if numeric.

Code:
          DoCmd.OpenReport "Report - Change Month in Title each time",acViewPreview, , "[Table]![Send Report To]= '" &name & "'",acNormal

Thank you for replying! I'm still having issues. When I try that code, I am getting an error that says missing operator in query expression

Code:
[Table]![Send Report To] = Joe Smith'

so it is working to pull the name, which is what I couldn't figure out before, (thank you!!) but where is the missing operator??

Upvote 0
You are missing the single quote at the start of the name.
You could also probably just get away with [Send Report To]

Upvote 0
I got it to partially, thank you much!!! Now though, it makes it through several records then quits on the last name O'Connell. Here is what my code looks like now:

Code:
DoCmd.OpenReport "Report - Change Month in Title each time", acViewPreview, , "[Table]![Send Report To]= '" & [ReportRecipient] & "'", acNormal

Any ideas???

Upvote 0
Yes, strings with single quotes like O'Connell cause problems. :(

In which case you can use ""[ReportRecipient]""

That is, you use two double quotes together instead of single quotes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Worked like a charm! Thank you from a person *brand new* to coding, your help is extremely appreciated!

Upvote 0
You are welcome.
I thought I'd perhaps got it wrong as well, as if you want the same for a sql statement you would need as below

Code:
strName = "D'Costa"
strSQL = "SELECT * from Crew WHERE Surname = """ & strName & """"

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scottdog129

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back