Databases linked to Master Database

schielrn

We have a master database that holds a lot of data. We want to migrate this to SQL. The issue becomes we do not know who all accesses this database and what other databases/processes have links to this database.

What are your best way to determine what all connects to a master database? I can determine what this database is connected to, but have no idea what is connecting to this database if that makes sense.

We could rename the master table, but with the large volumes of data people may not even realize this table is not being updated. I could put in VBA to capture who opens the database, but I still don't think that would let me know who already has connections to this database.

Has anyone gone through this to try to determine what all links to a specific database?

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
If you remove the database you will find out who uses it (or they will accept their fate and quietly go about things differently). That's the only good way I know.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
9Kimo3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back