Remote Access Database?

Hatty_Head

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone out there can help me with a potential application I would like to make.

What i would like is for there to be an Access database hosted online that has VBA which at regular times scrapes data and updates itself. This could be a timer module in the VBA, or just a system schedule which call some VBscript. I would then have some front end access/excel applications that can run locally (and can be distributed around the world) which connect to this central data source, and also allows the end user to update the database.

Is this is feasible? I've not had much luck looking online.

Some potential options could be to have a host which has an access database instance, or maybe a VPS? There is also a lot of pushing towards using Azure, but not sure if that would do what is required or not. Whatever the best option, there are 2 things I would like it to be able to do:

1. It needs to be able to have some code which runs on a timer which does regular data scrapes (not sure if you ca do this via Azure)
2. It needs to allow a front end VBA application to connect to it.

If anyone here could give me some advice on this, it would be much appreciated

Thank you in advance.

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
I wouldn't really be interested in using MSAccess for a project like this - it's not intended for online multiuser access. If you are hosting online or in the cloud you could easily get MySQL or SQLServer instead.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fyfe54

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back