Append Query to Table Issues

Pestomania

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I have 5 Fields that append to a table. All can repeat but I only want one unique record of each type. When I do the append, it just keeps adding duplicates because I can't set a primary key. Any ideas?

Fields:
Order Operation ID Description Complete

Bear in mind this append will be managing thousands of "Orders".

Order can repeat because you can have multiple operations per order. All of these options can repeat.

But whenever I have them all append, I want it to keep only one unique row. I'll try to show below using three Fields

Order 1 001000 Cut
Order 1 002000 Slice
Order 1 003000 Break

Order 1 001500 Tear
Order 1 002500 Cut
Order 1 003000 Break

As you can see (hopefully). All of these operations belong to Order 1. But the 2 "cuts" are considered unique. But the 2 "breaks" are considered duplicate.
Therefore the anticipated result would be:

Order 1 001000 Cut
Order 1 001500 Tear
Order 1 002000 Slice
Order 1 003000 Break
Order 1 002500 Cut

I hope this makes sense!!

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Do an unmatched query between the two tables, joining the table on EVERY field that you want to be considered in the duplicate determination (whether that is 3 fields or 5 fields).
That will return the new "unique" records.
Then, just change the query into an Append Query and add them into your other table.

Upvote 0
The 2 'Cut' records have different descriptions, so they are unique.

What would you want to have in the description field for the 'Cut' records?

Upvote 0
Mostly this depends on how you insert these things (one at at time, all at once, from a form, from external data, from user input?).

Anyway, one option is to make sure it doesn't already exist:

SQL PSEUDOCODE (not checked for syntax):
Code:
insert into Table(Field1, Field2, Field3)
Values
    (Value1, Value2, Value3) 
where not exists (select * from Table where Field1 = Value1 and Field2 = Value2 and Field3 = Value3)

Upvote 0
Do an unmatched query between the two tables, joining the table on EVERY field that you want to be considered in the duplicate determination (whether that is 3 fields or 5 fields).
That will return the new "unique" records.
Then, just change the query into an Append Query and add them into your other table.

Alright. I think I understand where you're going with this. I will give this a try and See if it brings the results I'm attempting to accomplish.

Upvote 0
Yes. The Cut records are different. That information is pulled from a separate database and cannot be changed.

Upvote 0
What happens is an employee inserts the Order # into a form which prompts the query to pull from a separate database and append it to this table. What I'm having issues with, if they input the order twice (today and tomorrow for example) it appends twice.

Honestly, if I knew the code well enough Id try to write:

If Order 1 is in Table 1 then
Return 'All other fields'
Else
Append Query

May be a better way to do all of that than what I am trying.

The second problem lives that there is a "complete?" Field that the employee selects and I want the next time they scan that order to be able to see that it is already complete. I do this all of the time but the append overrides it.

I hope that helps some!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back