Method for maintaining listbox possible values

andydtaylor

Office Version
  1. 2016
Hi,

I'm usually an Excel person and not so much an Access person so please forgive my stupid question:

I plan to build a database which in various forms rolling up into various tables I want to control selection choices a user can make. Some of these list might be 3 options long, some might be 5, and i know of at least one that is 10. But what is the best way to makes these selection choices maintainable by a user? The scenario would be a user has just encountered a new type of thing not preciously reflected in a drop-down choice. Certainly until this database gets established.

Is the below approach the right way to manage this, or should I be thinking of something else?

Would I have a tblUserStatic
Field 1: Listbox_Name
Field 2: Selection group description
Field 3: Selection_Value

I could then query this and sort A-Z or groupby count when populating a listbox in a form?

Another form could link to this table for the purpose of adding/removing items

Thanks,

Andrew

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
That is what I would do, with perhaps an additonal field for sort order, then sort by that and then Selection_value.?

Upvote 0
It's a good approach. A couple of thoughts, though:

1. Since users can't change list boxes, the selections for this field should be hard-coded so they don't have to be separately typed in.
2. Have a separate table holding the possible group values (or hard-coding those, too, if they don't change).

Upvote 0
there is also the Not In List event for a combo box, which doesn't require a form for editing list items. However, it can be problematic if not done correctly, and requires additional code if more than one value needs to be added (as in the case where a combo box list has multiple fields and each one is required at the time of inserting new data).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back