How to find all combinations within a constraint

NLindley7

I am after some code/advice for Access.
I have a list of Order Numbers(Unique) and what cubic metres that each are, I also have a cost benefit per Order.
I would like to run some code to be able to find every combination of Orders but within a given constraint of Cubic size (65Cube) to find the most cost effect mix of Orders in the minimum amount of results (Lowest Container Loads)
So if I had for instance 9x PO's below, in this case due to them all being 20Cube, the minimum you could build would be 3 containers, but which combo would (not duplicating) output the highest cost benefit.
<code style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-family: Consolas, Menlo, Monaco, "Lucida Console", "Liberation Mono", "DejaVu Sans Mono", "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono", "Courier New", monospace, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; box-sizing: inherit; white-space: inherit;">11111 20Cu £600
22222 20Cu £2,500
33333 20Cu £30,000
44444 20Cu £10,000
55555 20Cu £300
66666 20Cu £23,000
77777 20Cu £50,000
88888 20Cu £100
99999 20Cu £1,000
</code>There are 84x Combinations in this case and top three would be:
<code style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-family: Consolas, Menlo, Monaco, "Lucida Console", "Liberation Mono", "DejaVu Sans Mono", "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono", "Courier New", monospace, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; box-sizing: inherit; white-space: inherit;">333333 666666 777777
222222 444444 999999
111111 555555 888888
</code>In the real case, there shall be 1800+ PO's and all of different cube.

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
I don't think you have defined the problem clearly (i.e., what is Lowest Container Load and how do you calculate cost effectiveness). Also your sample solution of the top 3 lists 9 POs, so its not a valid solution. There is really very little that makes sense in having one order provide 50,000 pounds of cost effectiveness for 20 cubic volume and another only 100 pounds of cost effectiveness for the same cubic volume - its as if you have one order for gold and another for iron ore - not a practical problem really (do you need iron or gold - you can't really substitute one for the other).

By the way this really has little to do with Access - generally its a problem you would tackle with Excel solver or some other linear programming model.

Upvote 0
While we do not prohibit Cross-Posting on this site, we do ask that you please mention you are doing so and provide links in each of the threads pointing to the other thread (see rule 13 here along with the explanation: Forum Rules). This way, other members can see what has already been done in regards to a question, and do not waste time working on a question that may already be answered.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alex78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back