Access Track Changes to Data

JackDanIce

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi

I'm designing a database which has an Excel front-end and uses Access for data store.

Each save from Excel to Access is a normalised table showing data for: A (one) Client which has 0 or more Jobs and where each Job has 0 or more Transactions

If I need to reload previous saved states for a given job or Client any tips/suggestions on how to structure the data?

I'm assuming I'll need a time-stamp field (Excel or Access generated) when data is appended to a [Transactions?] table

Also, if a transaction has value 10, saved with time stamp Today and tomorrow, value remains 10 but saved with tomorrow's time stamp, over time, this would create a large amount of data where only the time stamp field is changing.

Is there a better solution to save relevant change and allow roll back to previous save points?

TIA,
Jack

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
See my post in this thread:

https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/microsoft-access/1112353-advice-best-method.html

I've not used this audit feature to roll back records, but so long as you have all the time-stamped changes, it should be pretty straight forward to run update queries that return each field to its previous value in reverse chronological order until the ID of the state you're looking to roll back to. (A bonus with this method is being able to roll back just individual fields.)

Upvote 0
Hey JonXL, thanks for sharing the link, it points to a $16 downloadable database which contains an example of a database that can roll-back, is this correct?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That is a database with an example of an audit trail (tracking changes). See above the suggestion is that you can "rollback" changes by writing queries to work with the audit table to reverse changes but strictly speaking that means new changes to undo the old changes. This is not the same as true rollback which means not committing uncommitted changes.

Upvote 0
Thanks xenou, apologies for mix up with terms roll-back and undoing changes.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alex78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back