Updating Linked Tables to Back End Problem

gheyman

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a Back End (BE) with all my Tables. When I am solely in the Front End (FE) Database everything runs fine. As soon as another user opens and uses the Front End database the database somehow is loosing the links. We get a message that it doesn't recognize the back end and we have to refresh the Links. Once the Links are refreshed it works fine until its closed. Once we reopen the FE the same problem happens. What's really confuses me is that if I am the only user getting in and out of the front end all day, there are no problems. I never have to refresh the table links.

Any ideas what's happening?

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Relink access database

I am having a problem with access linked table database. When my manager and I access the database. we have relink the tables every time. But when I don't access to the database, my manage can go using it all day without having to relink the tables. do you know what could possibly go wrong I really appreciate for your input of what to do to correct the problem. There are more users that will be using the database so it'd be great if we can find out what's the problem is. Thank you in advance.

Upvote 0
Re: Relink access database

tambadal,

Is your database split into separate front-end and back-end?
Does each user have their own copy of the front-end, which they are using?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
gheyman,

Are you and this other user using the same front-end?
Each user should have their own copy of the front-end.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Re: Relink access database

Yes, the data is split into front end and back end, we all have access to same front end file.

Upvote 0
I merged these two threads together, as they are asking the same question, and I checked and I see that you are both posting from the same IP address, so I see that it looks like you two are working on the same issue.

Upvote 0
If each user have their own copy of the front end, will it fix the problem with us having relinking the tables?

Upvote 0
Yes, the data is split into front end and back end, we all have access to same front end file.
No, that is not the proper way of doing it, and really defeats the purpose of splitting the database.
Each user needs to have their own, separate copy of the front-end database.

Upvote 0
Have you looked at the links? Are there differences in mapped drives (E:\MyDb.accdb or F:\MyAccdb or \\mynetwork\MyDb.accdb and so on). Is everyone on the same local network?

Upvote 0
Joe;

your correct, we ended up working the same issue. Same problem, same database

We all use the same FE. No one has their own copy of the FE

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
richa mishra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back