How to Link your Access DB to Sharepoint?

squeakums

Office Version
  1. 365
I have never attempted this before. But, is there a way to place your Access DB on SharePoint, but have it linked to where it saved in the folder its linked to? Also, multiple users should be able to open it correct?

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Not that I know of. It sounds like a bad idea since Access is not for use over http networks.

Upvote 0
FWIW, M$ has stopped supporting integration of Access with SharePoint if I'm not mistaken. For a multi user db, everybody should have their own front end connected to the back end tables on a network share - no wifi.

Upvote 0
Access supports migration of the back end to SharePoint, it basically creates lists within the SharePoint sites, imports your data into them and then creates a linked table in their place within the Access file. I have used this a couple of times, however, have had a couple of small issues.

Some of my primary keys/foreign keys went out of order therefore the related data was then related to the incorrect record (this only happened with one table).
A couple of the data types were slightly different, therefore required tweaking on the front end.

I didn't save the FE within SharePoint, as others have said this is bad practice with Access as multiple users shouldn't be using the same FE concurrently.

The SharePoint lists were exposed to anyone with access to that site. They can be hidden, however aren't by default.

if you are considering trying to migrate data to SharePoint I would recommend thoroughly testing it on a copy of your file within a private SharePoint site as there are probably other compatibility issues that I didn't experience.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back