Inserting blank column in Query Results

riggsd

Board Regular
In a query, how do I add a column in the grid so that the column in the query results is blank?

In order to save some programming effort, I need to be able to put two blank columns between two data columns. I've done this before but after racking my brain, I cannot remember how to do this.

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Add these expressions in the field row where needed.

Blank1:""

Blank2:""

Upvote 0
Just add a calculated field (expression), like:

Blank1:""

Upvote 0
It's better to write '=null' because ="" will not be seen as truly empty. E.g. if you load this to a table and then later need to filter the table to remove nulls, the ="" method produces no nulls, just (blank)s

Upvote 0
Wow, this thread got resurrected after 12 years on inactivity! (I wonder how you even came across it)

It's better to write '=null' because ="" will not be seen as truly empty. E.g. if you load this to a table and then later need to filter the table to remove nulls, the ="" method produces no nulls, just (blank)s
As long as we are splitting hairs, you don't use "=" in setting a calculated field in a query. The structure would be:
CalculatedFieldName: Null

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Guys!
I need help trying to do the above using power query.
my issue: i have a power query transformation that i have completed (deleting & cleaning of the current data-columns), now i wanted to add couple of empty columns at the end of this cleaned up table. But i couldn't.

in-spite of trying few different way of trying to add Blank1:"" etc...as suggested above, i still couldn't. As i did not know where to write the formula after clicking on "add custom column".

Please help!
Thanks.

Upvote 0
I need help trying to do the above using power query.
I have never used Power Query. This is actually the "Access Questions" forum. There is a forum here called "Power BI" that is specifically for the Power products, like "Power Query" (https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/power-bi/).
If you post your question there, you will probably have better luck. There are a few Power Query experts on here who post a lot.

Upvote 0
Oh i am sorry!
thanks for the prompt response Joe!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterhess2002

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back