Transfering data between Access and Excel freezes computer

cfriess

Using Access to import data via an ODBC connection to an Oracle database, once data has been imported, a simply query is run using the tables (2) that were imported, the data is either exported directly to Excel or cut and pasted into Excel. Either way the computer locks up and must be rebooted.

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Hi, and welcome to the Board!

Is the data physically imported into Access, and written to another table, or are you linking to Oracle and creating the query direclty from those linked tables?

How many records are you working with?

Denis

Upvote 0
Thanks, the data is physically being imported into Access. The query is based on Access tables, the number of records is... 10,750. Thanks for your help, Chris

Upvote 0
Please be more precise.

I see three major steps in your description -

1- import from Oracle
2- query generation
3- export to excel

At what stage of each of these steps does it lock up?
Have you verified each of the prior steps are complete?
How are you doing the process? Manually or code?
Is it an automated process or one interactive (clicking buttons on a form?)?

My personal guess is, based on how you wrote this out, is that the first two processes are working and it's failing with the export to excel.

Based on that premise, I would ask whether the process has ever worked? Does it, perhaps, work once and then all future attempts fail?

If yes - it is highly likely that you are not closing the excel object properly. Doing a quick control-alt-delete should show you one or more excel.exe processes still running - and, if so, manually killing them with End_Process should allow it to work one more time.

Assuming the above is a good guess, try these links which may refer to other posts.

http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=147132&highlight=usercontrol

http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=102394&highlight=usercontrol

Mike

Upvote 0
You got it, those are the steps, it hangs when exporting to Excel and even if you cut the data from Access to paste it in Excel. This is all a manual process, no code involved. Chris

Upvote 0
If it works with a small sample (like the top 500 records), it may be a memory issue. You may find it better to use code to push the data to Excel from Access using TransferSpreadsheet, or to import in into an Excel file using ADO.

Which would you prefer to do?

Denis

Upvote 0
I'm afraid all of my suggestions were premised on it being a code based approach.

I would also suggest some experiments with other file formats. Can you, for example, export the table itself into another database? Can you use MSQuery from inside Excel to extract the data?

Depending on the answer and possibly other particulars, you could have missing office components or some other software oriented problem?

Mike

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back