Linking tables in frontend and backend

me2

Board Regular
I'm sure there is an answer to this question on this board some where but I haven't found it.

Each month I add a new table to my backend database. The frontend database allows the user to select any 2 tables and get the reasons for variance. Usually I run current month to prior month and current month to first of year. But every once in awhile, some manager wants quarterly reports. So I keep all months in the backend.

I want to have the frontend link to all tables in the backend with the name format of yyyy-mm-dd without me having to create that link.

How do I do this?

TIA,

me

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
why are you even doing this like that? You should have a table with the date field with in it as a field, this consolidates the data within the table?

It's like you using Access as if it were Excel files in a folder?

You need to rethink this design, give more details of table structure and process.

Upvote 0
Well for one thing I never thought of that. I'm comparing data from 2 points in time so it made sense to me to have 2 tables to compare. And to have the flexibility to select which to tables to compare.

It is a fairly ridiculous task anyhow. I'm supposed to take data from a source with no built-in data integrity and explain (in 14 reasons) why the output changed. I’m also have to correctly identify “matching” data when one or more of the identifying characteristics have changed AND correctly determine if data is “different” when none of the characteristics have changed.

Thanks for your suggestion. I’ll give it a try. While your idea will solve the linking question, I'm not so confident that my computer will play nice with one big table. It pretty grinds to a halt if I don't create multiple backends each with no more than a quarter's worth of data in it. But nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Upvote 0
hey your not alone when it comes to getting assigned ridiculous tasks.....

There are many ways you can make your life easier, if your worried about one big table slowing you down, then think of it this way....

Load up a single table as your Archive, and then create a Maketable query (from the archive) along with criteria for date range....this will create a work table for you to query the data you want to work with.

You can automate this with code/macro's

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back