Access Database Won't Open - NO Error Messages

geekette

Board Regular
Hi,

We have been using an Access database at work with no problems at all....today we tried to open the database (the file is still showing exactly the same) on opening it opens Access but then nothing happens...there are no error messages to suggest anything it just simply does not open??

Does anyone have any advice on what we can do? I have tried a number of things to rectify it but whatever I try it acts like the file is not there (even though it shows it in windows explorer).

Any help would be so appreciated :O)

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Can you create a new database and try importing your tables, forms, etc. into it from the original?

Upvote 0
I have had the same issue. I could not open ANY mdb, but I could create and open a new one. Once I close the program and restarted and tried to open the brand new mdb, it would not open and gave the same symptoms as before. I copied the original suspect mdb over to another pc and it opened with no issues. My conclussion is that it is the software and this was caused after a windows update. Im going to restore and see if that corrects before I reinstall access 03.

Upvote 0
I Think I found a solution to this problem, but it will depend on what version you are using, when this happened to me I was using MSO 2003, anyway here's what I did to fix this problem.

- Copy the MSO2003 db to a Computer with MSO2010 Installed.
- Open the MSO2003 db (using shift) in MSO 2010
(if this is going to work, you should see your db tables now, if not sorry)
- This step depends on if you have a automatic startup form you run, if so, go to File > Options > Current Database Tab > Display Form (set this to none) and press OK
- Exit MSO2010
- Copy the db to a Computer using MSO2003 and Open the db (using shift)
- Convert the db to Access 2000 Format (rename it), hold shift until the compact is complete.
- Open the renamed 2000 db, Compact & Repair using shift to make sure things are working (you can continue without the C&R)
- Convert the 2000 db to Access 2003 Format (rename it again), use shift.
- Open the renamed db and you should be Good!

NOTE: renaming the db during the conversion is not necessary but it keeps each step so you can retrace your efforts if something goes wrong.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
I Think I found a solution to this problem, but it will depend on what version you are using, when this happened to me I was using MSO 2003, anyway here's what I did to fix this problem.

- Copy the MSO2003 db to a Computer with MSO2010 Installed.
- Open the MSO2003 db (using shift) in MSO 2010
(if this is going to work, you should see your db tables now, if not sorry)
- This step depends on if you have a automatic startup form you run, if so, go to File > Options > Current Database Tab > Display Form (set this to none) and press OK
- Exit MSO2010
- Copy the db to a Computer using MSO2003 and Open the db (using shift)
- Convert the db to Access 2000 Format (rename it), hold shift until the compact is complete.
- Open the renamed 2000 db, Compact & Repair using shift to make sure things are working (you can continue without the C&R)
- Convert the 2000 db to Access 2003 Format (rename it again), use shift.
- Open the renamed db and you should be Good!

NOTE: renaming the db during the conversion is not necessary but it keeps each step so you can retrace your efforts if something goes wrong.

Hope this helps.

Never had to do the above to get mine to work.

I am no guru by any means but I have had a similar problem and I figured if it works for Outlook it can work for Access.

I went to CTRL-ALT-DELETE and INDWOWS TASK MANAGER. I found that even though Access was closed the PROCESSES TAB still had MSACCESS.EXE running. I clicked "End Process" While in TASK MANAGER click the SERICES and end any processes that pertain to Access. Once I closed those out I was able to open Access.

Just found this and want to contribute.:LOL:

Upvote 0
Never had to do the above to get mine to work.

I am no guru by any means but I have had a similar problem and I figured if it works for Outlook it can work for Access.

I went to CTRL-ALT-DELETE and INDWOWS TASK MANAGER. I found that even though Access was closed the PROCESSES TAB still had MSACCESS.EXE running. I clicked "End Process" While in TASK MANAGER click the SERICES and end any processes that pertain to Access. Once I closed those out I was able to open Access.

Just found this and want to contribute.:LOL:

Thanks Nvablejrg! That worked a treat for me :eek:)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alex78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back