Access 2007 Sharing a DB with multiple users

PCRIDE

I have a series of Databases connected together and multiple people can be logging data throughout the day.

I then harvest the data by using excel and a data connection to create a pivot table to pull the data into excel.

The problem is when anyone has the data bases open I cannot query the data base with excel and the other way around, when I have the excel file open, no one can get into the data base.

Since these data bases are connected by queries, they don't query if someone has the other data base open or I have my excel sheet connected to it.

These are all on a server share windows 2003 server and I used the Server Manager to create the share.

What do I need to do here? Is this an setting in Access or is it the share. I am the admin of the data base - do I need to put it into a certain mode before making it available to all users?

Its a race, whoever gets it first has access to it, you can't even open the data base to veiw the data if someone has it open, it returns an error that its locked or can't read the table because its in use or something like that.

The exact error is
You cannot open a db that is already open by User "Admin" on machine xyz, try again when the DB is avialble.

Thanks!

Last edited:
This is a basic excel sheet with fields the same name as some of the field names in the Access Table.

All the tables are linked to the Split database files

I use the import data wizard in access select Apend data and run through the wizard. The table does have a primary key (AutoNumber) its a very basic DB with 1 large Table and a form front end.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Double check that you can manually enter a record in that table (to verify that something isn't keeping it from writing).

Upvote 0
I am having major issues now that I have split this. A few issues I have

When I compiled the ACCDE file, after several uses the users get an error that its in incompatible version of access and to check the version - This is resolved by going into the working copy and re-compiling an ACCDE file

When I import the data I use the Import Wizard and append the data to the tables that access created when I split the dB, access added a "filename".be.accdb for the split tables. we can enter in data manually

How do I unsplit the data base? I need to revert back to the original set up since this is not working.

Upvote 0
I have tried every combination of settings and still not able to get this working. I have followed many examples in books as well.

Am I missing something basic?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back