Database keeps opening as READ-ONLY??

golfnut019

Board Regular
Everytime I open up my Access database, it says "This database has been opened read-only. You can only change data in linked tables. To make design changes, save a copy of the database."

This DB is saved on my desktop. ( I'm getting familiarized with Access 07 so I'm running some test DB's. )

Anybody know how I can get rid of this?

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Close Access down. Check in the directory for a 1kb file with the same name but an .ldb extension (for mdb databases) or .laccdb (for the 2007 format). Delete that file; it's a locking file that should go away when you close down normally but can remain if you have had a crash or used a force quit.

Let us know how you go.

Denis

Upvote 0
It seems this occurs if you don't have write permissions in the directory the db is in. Is that possible? For instance, I can't save files to my C:\ directory when I'm logged in as a limited user (which is how I normally login on my laptop). I also found a thread suggesting that if you've downloaded a Demo version of 2007, then it simply can't be used to save changes in design mode.

Upvote 0
I think you'll find that if you don't have read-write access to the directory, you won't even be able to open the database.
To launch the DB, Access needs to create the locking file. Read-only prevents that, and you don't launch.

I wasn't aware of the 2007 demo 'feature' though.

Denis

Upvote 0
I had a similar issue w/ my files and it seemed to be centered around a folder setting randomly getting updated to "read only". Look at the folder permissions and make sure the box is unchecked along w/ all the subfolders if needed.

This fixed my issue.
Ben

Upvote 0
Just a quick note in case it helps anyone else... I ran into this problem as well and the cause was quite simple in the end - I had an Excel document open that had a data connection to the database in question. Closing the spreadsheet allowed me to open the DB as normal. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back