Can you have a spreadsheet sync with a database

cloa

I am organising a small part of the data at a computer help charity and I'd really like them to be properly organised which is only on diffuse spreadsheets at the moment.
Basically, I think for our data a database would be best however for other people they may scared by a database or some computers like laptops may not have a licence for Access so I'd like the data to able to enterred on a spreadsheet which may even be on Excel 2003 rather than the 2007 at the main work area and that is able to transfer semi-automatically that is at some time my boss or other senior person transfers the data but without much work. Is that doable?

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
It depends on your skill level. It can be done in code, and you only need one Access license (to build and maintain the database). The users on Excel do not need Access at all.
Take a look at this tutorial and post back if you have questions.

Denis

Upvote 0
Absolutely. But I would use an Access file in the mdb format (not the newer accdb format) to make sure that both Excel versions can use it.

Denis

Upvote 0
I'm need to do something similar to this, but I am leaning towards using SQL Server instead of Access as a back end. Are there any similar tutorials out there that does the same thing with SQL Server?

What about tools that would help make this easier (instead of having to write code from scratch). Would SSIS help me out (never used, only briefly read about)? Thanks.

Upvote 0
I don't have it with me right now but the main difference is the connection string, including login and password. If you search for ADO connection string you should get a huge page with a range of different ones.
I'll see if I can dig up anything at home this evening.

Denis

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joaquim_Baptista

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back