Cannot join on Memo, OLE, or Hyperlink Object

SlinkRN

Hi all, I am SO much more of an Excel person than an Access person so I hope someone can help me. I am trying to design a query based on two tables. One table is mom's info and the other is the newborn's info. I am trying to join MRN (medical record number) from the mom info table with MomMRN (mother's medical record number) from the newborn info table but I keep getting that "cannot join" error that's in the title of this post. I've searched and I've googled and I just cannot figure this out. Can anyone push me in the right direction? Thanks, Slink

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
What data type are each of the fields? Check the field properties in the table and make sure that they are the same and are not one of the types listed in your error.

Upvote 0
Thanks Bob! That is the problem!! It is text in one table and Memo in the other. The problem is that it pulls from a sql database that I am not in control of. If I change the format of a field in one of the tables will I be messing up the sql database? Thanks, Slink

Upvote 0
What is the format of the one coming from the SQL database? I am assuming that it is the memo field and probably due to it being set to something liike varChar(Max).

Upvote 0
Both tables come from the sql database. I am using an ODBC connection to do queries on the database from Access. I really doubt that anything I do in Access would affect the database but I'm chicken unless I know for sure (I am already pretty sure since I have been told that the sql database updates the tables routinely so that any changes that are made would routinely be overturned.)

Upvote 0
Perhaps you could get the SQL DBA to create a view for you which you could then link to instead???

Upvote 0
Thanks for your help, I'll ask him about it, at least now I know what to ask about!

Upvote 0
Hi, in what way should the view be created so that the Cannot join on memo error doesn't occur? I created a basic view and then an Access query which uses it but the error still comes up.</SPAN></SPAN>

Upvote 0
Hi, in what way should the view be created so that the Cannot join on memo error doesn't occur? I created a basic view and then an Access query which uses it but the error still comes up.
You are probably better off starting your own thread/question than resurrecting an old one. Bob Larson has not been active on this board for a few years, so I doubt he will see/respond to your question, and most other people probably won't see the question, as it doesn't show up as a new unanswered question.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arndtea

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back