Adding multiple columns from a table into one report box.

arcanecantrips

I've created a report with some totals of sales for my employees, there are 4 different types of sales. The report shows each total individually but when I try to get the report to add the all together it just shows blanks. here is the formula i'm using:

Code:
=sum(([sales1])+sum([sales2])+sum([sales3])+sum([sales4]))

Seems to me like it should work, but i'm at a loss.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
First to check, it looks like you have a parenthesis out of place:

=(sum([sales1])+sum([sales2])+sum([sales3])+sum([sales4]))

or

=sum([sales1])+sum([sales2])+sum([sales3])+sum([sales4])

Upvote 0
If your data are condesed, maybe you can also use a pivot table for your question.

Upvote 0
I think I figured the issue out, there were null values in my table and I suppose the report wasn't reading them as 0. So, rather than using the nz function (which I can't figure out any way...), i just entered 0's into all of the fields, they are now adding up fine in my report. Thanks for all the help!!

I do however have a secondary question, I have another table that I need to enter a lot of the same number into. In Excel I can highlight a certain amount of cells enter the number then hit Crtl+Enter and it will enter the same number in all the cells selected, is there a similar function in Access?</SPAN>

I've changed the Default Value of my fields for the future but I'm needing to enter the number into past fields.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Are all those records Null and do you want all of them that are Null to be changed? Run an update query against it - changing the table and field names as neccessary.

UPDATE yourtablename SET yourtablename.yourfieldname = 0 WHERE (((yourtablename.yourfieldname) Is Null));

Upvote 0
> "the nz function (which I can't figure out any way...)"

NZ is simply a function that returns a value if there is no value. All that is required is the first argument, what you want the value of. If there is no value and Access decides this is a number it will return 0 (zero). If there is no value and Access decides this is a text it will return an empty string, ""

I prefer to specify the optional second argument. I often use NZ to find out if a date is in a particular range and specify the optional parameter to either be an early historical date or something wildly in the future :)

nz(textexpression, "")
nz(numericexpression,0)

> "changed the Default Value of my fields for the future "

I wouldn't rely on this ... use NZ. Users can press DELETE and wipe it out!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
=sum(([sales1])+sum([sales2])+sum([sales3])+sum([sales4]))

using NZ, this would be:
Code:
= nz([sales1],0) + nz([sales2],0) + nz([sales3],0) + nz([sales4],0)

don't use SUM if you are putting this calculation on the same level. If, however, the equation is in a header or footer section, where you truly do want to aggregate, then preface the whole thing with SUM

Code:
= sum( nz([sales1],0)+ nz([sales2],0) +nz([sales3],0) +nz([sales4],0) )

It seems to me that your data is not normalized ...

> "4 different types of sales"

instead of entering the sale in a different column, it might be better to have a SaleTypes table and store a SaleTypeID with the amount. If you can get Amount in ONE field, your reporting and calculating will be much easier! So if there are 2 sale types for a transaction, there would be 2 records.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosWin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back