Data Import Advice

automationamateur

Board Regular
I have two tables (this is a simplified version for simplicity sake, see below). I am fed data from a referral agency that has client information and appointment information. If client is a new client (this is a field on data feed) I want to append data to tblClient, get a new client # and then go back and add the appointment data (with newly assigned client #) to tblCheck_In. If client is now new I only want to append appointment data to tblCheck_In. What would be the best way to go about handling these two scenarios? Your help is greatly appreciated. See below for what I've tried

tblClient
Field 1 = ClientNumber (primary key, autonumber, unique values)
Field 2 = FirstName
Field 3 = LastName
Field etc, etc, etc

tblCheck_In
Field 1 = CheckInNumber (primary key, autonumber, unique values)
Field 2 = ClientNumber (foreign key of Field 1 in tblClient)
Field 3 = Appt Type
Field etc, etc, etc

Existing client: import data gets put into holding table, query pulls holding table and tblClient together and gets existing client # by matching first and last name fields between tables. then query appends data to tblCheck_In. but this fails due to key violations

New client (haven't tried this yet but if i can't get the above approach to work I don't think i'll be successful with this one): query pulls all new clients from holding table, appends to tblClient. Another query basically repeats process of existing client steps (above) to get data into tblCheck_In

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
My first attempt (the one that failed due to key violations) was with queries but I'm open to any suggestions. I can do some simple VBA stuff so I'm not ruling that out. What I want to achieve seems so simple but I just can't get my head around it.

Upvote 0
I think doing it with queries should be good. But, rather than thinking of it as a single operation that does one thing in the new client case, and another thing in the existing client case, I would think of it like this:

Add any new clients to the clients table:
Rich (BB code):
INSERT INTO tblClient
SELECT tblHolding.FirstName, tblHolding.LastName
FROM tblHolding LEFT JOIN tblClient
ON tblHolding.FirstName = tblClient.FirstName AND tblHolding.LastName = tblClient.LastName
WHERE ClientNumber IS NULL
Now, all clients should be in the database, so add the appointments:
Rich (BB code):
INSERT INTO tblCheck_In
SELECT ClientNumber, tblHolding.[Appt Type]
FROM tblHolding INNER JOIN tblClient
ON tblHolding.FirstName = tblClient.FirstName AND tblHolding.LastName = tblClient.LastName

Edit: Btw, I usually wouldn't rely on First and Last name to distinguish unique clients, but your situation my be different.

Upvote 0
Fantastic. I've implemented this and it works just like I wanted, I was failing on the left join in first query, i was doing an inner join for some reason. Thanks so much. And yes, I actually rely on the combination of first, last, and birth date. These 3 work pretty well, unfortunately we don't store any better fields like a social security number and all other fields submitted to us are formatted too random to use as a key (like address). THANKS AGAIN :)

Upvote 0
Glad that worked for you! First name, last name, and birth date sounds good, but yeah, anything other than a social security number is going to have the possibility of getting it wrong.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msilva74

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back