Access Importing External Data Question

Synestar

Hello All,

Let me be forthcoming and let you know I am an Access Novice. But work is requesting that I learn how to use this software inside and out. Also I am using Access 2007 for now but there are plans to upgrade to 2010 within the year.

From the little I have learned I can see so many applications for this. But I want to start with something that I think is so simple but I can't seem to get it to work.

Situation:
We receive multiple reports from different vendors in the form of Excel worksheets. They have the same names for the column headers, but they are in a different order depending on the vendor. Also some vendors added in extra columns for more data that I do not need. I am trying to simplify the import process as right now we have someone cutting and pasting into a new excel sheet and then importing into Access. Is there a way to get Access to import the data based on the column headers?

Also there is something else that annoyed me when I was testing things out. I created a database for something else and set my datatype for a specific column as Text since the data in that column sometimes includes text and numbers. I got errors when importing later reports because the first row had a number and Access seems to have changed the datatype for that column to Number and the later rows of data with Text did not import. Is there a way to permanently set this field as Text?

Thank you in advance!

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Or if someone could direct me to a book or website that doesn't just give me the Basics. That might help a bit too. I did some searching but only found the same things over and over.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guest1337

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back