subtract one hour in query (time/date) field

tuktuk

Hey there,

I have a query with the following iif statement.

Adj Interval Time: IIf([Interval Time]=#12:00:00 AM#,#11:00:00 PM#,IIf([Interval Time]=#12:30:00 AM#,#11:30:00 PM#,[Interval Time]))

My goal is to subtract one hour from [Interval Time] for the else portion of the statement.

Something like this but need to specify the hour...

Denver Adj Interval Time: IIf([Interval Time]=#12:00:00 AM#,#11:00:00 PM#,IIf([Interval Time]=#12:30:00 AM#,#11:30:00 PM#,[Interval Time]-1))

Hope that makes sense.
Thanks
Tuk

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
i think i got it. if you recommend other method please advise.

T

Denver Adj Interval Time: IIf([Interval Time]=#12:00:00 AM#,#11:00:00 PM#,IIf([Interval Time]=#12:30:00 AM#,#11:30:00 PM#,Format(TimeValue([Interval Time])-TimeValue("01:00"),"hh:nn am/pm")))

Upvote 0
hey there. so i'm runnign into an issue.

i use the above formula to append to a table "tbl_Interval" field named "Interval Time". I have another query that appends to the same table, "tbl_Interval" field but does not require me to use the format time value to subrtract one hour. so my prob is when i query off tbl_Interval i'm uanble to group by on the "Interval Time" field even tho the time interval is the same. It actually lists the Interval Time twice even tho it is the same and show the value individually.

if i view the SQL for the query i see that the "Interval Time" field is in brackets............tbl_Interval.[Interval Time],.....

how do i resolve this issue? are they different datatypes? it should be Date/Time.

Thanks
Tuk

Upvote 0
If it is supposed to be Date/Time, then your problem is likely the Format() formula as that outputs a string (formatted however you specify). I believe if you just take out the bounding FORMAT you may be fine.

i.e.
Denver Adj Interval Time: IIf([Interval Time]=#12:00:00 AM#,#11:00:00 PM#,IIf([Interval Time]=#12:30:00 AM#,#11:30:00 PM#,TimeValue([Interval Time])-TimeValue("01:00")))

Upvote 0
gotcha.......actually i just reformatted in the query. thanks..that will get me there.

Interval Time Formatted: Format([Interval Time],"hh:nn:ss ampm")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharmarick

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back