How to link MS Access Backend tables on MS Access Frontend when folder sharing is not possible where Backend Database is Stored

arjun5381

I have developed a Project based on Client-Server Project using table link functionality where back-end & front-end both are only MS Access 2007, back-end tables are stored in a separate desktop and front-end is circulated to my all team members.

Now here I have a big problem for front-end and back-end table link connection - In our organisation folder sharing is strictly prohibited as per Company Ethics that is why I’m not able to share folder where back-end database is stored.

Can you please suggest me how to connect back-end tables when folder sharing is not possible.

yes, it would be a hybrid application

poor performance is better than no performance ... and free is better than paying ~ if the user does have 365 with SharePoint, then they can put the database up there for no extra cost and invite other users.

I agree that Azure would be worth looking into as well. It is also, of course, slower than a shared database on a LAN.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Thanks to all of you Guys for your suggestions but my problem is still not closed.
In my organization there are lot of rules, here we have the option to develop MS Access Projects only, MS SQL is not for non IT peoples and they are not able to give me some company Code of conduct.

Is there any option to link ms access backed tables without folder sharing.

other options are not available for non IT peoples, like MS SQL, SharePoint, Office 365 or any web app.

Upvote 0
wow, it seems that your hands are really tied. What does your database do?

Is it feasible for each to have their own copy and to merge records and changes?

Upvote 0
Put simply, no, it's not possible. Access is a file system database, it lives in a file, it a user doesn't have access to said file it won't work.

Could try each user having their own copy and merging - but that's nasty and you'd still need a way to get hold of the user's version, which I don't know how you'd do without a network share

EDIT: Oops, didn't see post above, which is basically what I said :)

Upvote 0
don't give up on Access. It is not that hard to synchronize the changes. Add these fields to all your tables:

IDadd, Long Integer
IDedit, Long Integer
IDedit0, Long Integer
dtmAdd, DateTime, DefaultValue = Now()
dtmEdit, DateTime, DefaultValue = Now()
dtmEdit0, DateTime

so ID corresponds to the user, or the front-end. Each user or FE will have a number. When records are changed, IDedit and dtmEdit will be updated. The old values will be put into IDedit0 and dtmEdit0. Date/Times will be based on UTC, not the current time in that zone. The procedure to do this will be general and called from each form BeforeUpdate event.

For synchronizing, a procedure to loop through all the tables and compare these values will be run. The master database can be synchronized each day or at will, and then distributed back.

This may seem like a lot of effort but once you have it in place, I think you'll be happy :) ... and you still get to use Access!

For sharing files, you can use "sneaker-net" -- put db on a stick and run over with it -- or, if it is not too big, zip and email

Upvote 0
For sharing files, you can use "sneaker-net" -- put db on a stick and run over with it -- or, if it is not too big, zip and email

That could get someone fired for violating company policy. If hey do not allow rouge network shares then they may also have the USB ports locked down.

Also, I doubt their company policy would allow cloud hosted anything.

> "folder sharing is strictly prohibited"

this seems counter-productive.

Not really. It can be just eh opposite. More productive.

From a security point of view that is very wise. I am willing to bet they never get a virus spreading across the network when a use click on an infected email.

Document sharing can be done through a Enterprise content management (ECM) applications or the older style Document Management Systems.

By using a ECM it can increase productivity by making documents easier to find and. With version control it also helps insure that all uses are using the correct information.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mirek8991

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back