How to link MS Access Backend tables on MS Access Frontend when folder sharing is not possible where Backend Database is Stored

arjun5381

I have developed a Project based on Client-Server Project using table link functionality where back-end & front-end both are only MS Access 2007, back-end tables are stored in a separate desktop and front-end is circulated to my all team members.

Now here I have a big problem for front-end and back-end table link connection - In our organisation folder sharing is strictly prohibited as per Company Ethics that is why I’m not able to share folder where back-end database is stored.

Can you please suggest me how to connect back-end tables when folder sharing is not possible.

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
> "folder sharing is strictly prohibited"

this seems counter-productive. In order to SHARE the back-end, people must have permission to the folder where it is stored. Perhaps you can talk to your IT people and get permission?

Alternately, perhaps you can move the back-end to an Access Web App in the cloud?

Upvote 0
Please provide me solution ASAP

If you keep the back end in an ACE or JET (accdb or mdb) database then only solution is to use a network share where all the users have read and write permissions.

I have developed a Project based on Client-Server Project ...
That is not true if you are using a ACE or JET (accdb or mdb) database as the back end.

If you were using a true Client-Server back end, like MS SQL Server Express, then you do not need a network share.

Your best solution is the upsize the back end to MS SQL Server Express. Your front end will be able to link to the SQL Server tables without using a network share. This will also meet your companies security policies.

Upvote 0
Boyd, do you perhaps have a blog on how to do this?

I suggested a web app since so many people have 365 these days ...

Upvote 0
Hi Crystal,

Boyd, do you perhaps have a blog on how to do this?

I suggested a web app since so many people have 365 these days ...

Most of the people I know with Office 365 do not have a plan that includes hosted sharepoint.

I do not have a blog post I wrote on upsizing to SQL Server. I have been using SQL Server since 2000. Personally I have not had the need to looked for any. I would be surprised if there were not any out there.

Alternately, perhaps you can move the back-end to an Access Web App in the cloud?
Are you suggesting moving just the back end to Sharepoint?

Upvote 0
Hi Boyd,

thanks for the correction ... it would just be a web database

I think that is also referred as a Hybrid Application.

You could also use an Azure database and skip the extra Sharepoint overhead..

I have tired used a local Access front end with a Azure database. The test were done using some of the Access desktop templates. I did this to simulate the common design I see in a lot of databases design by users. While it does work the performance was poor. To get acceptable performance it takes special design methods that are normally not found most database. Designing for a fast LAN connection ( 1 Gig or 1000 mbps ) is a lot different than the design for a remote database over and a slow internet connection. Typically internet speed is 10-50 mbps. If you are lucky it is 100 mbps.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back