Snakes and Ladders Simulation Qs

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
here's a quick and dirty worked solution i did for fun since some pals goaded me to do this... (just check tab p1 for all of the results - p2 and p3 are for the variants) -- one tiny macro just to simulate/recalc

if someone has a more elegant solution short of running it all via vba (which is really the legit way to do it), post it here, i'd be curious to see a better way of doing this via spreadsheet

i think i did it right (I pretty much got the right answers...)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tb0zzk26j...ff worked solution (2015-10-03 1432).zip?dl=0

Upvote 0
I have tried your approch and use data table to simulate the 5000 game simulation. My answers don't match yours, at least for the very first questions. Need an expert eye to enlighten me concerning the way data table operate when it's used for simulation (an approach put forward by the missed professor Simon Benninga).

Thanks a lot Dave for your spreadsheet.

Upvote 0
post your file - I'm curious how your approach deviated from mine

my approach seemed to get the right answers - I think at least

that said, don't forget that excel is kind of a silly tool for analysis like this - anyone doing something like this in a more legitimate situation would use R or at least SPSS

I have tried your approch and use data table to simulate the 5000 game simulation. My answers don't match yours, at least for the very first questions. Need an expert eye to enlighten me concerning the way data table operate when it's used for simulation (an approach put forward by the missed professor Simon Benninga).

Thanks a lot Dave for your spreadsheet.

Upvote 0
Actually we have the same answers !!! My bad !!! Thanks again for your spreadsheet !!! Learn a lot trough tackling these case studies !!!

Upvote 0
here's a quick and dirty worked solution i did for fun since some pals goaded me to do this... (just check tab p1 for all of the results - p2 and p3 are for the variants) -- one tiny macro just to simulate/recalc

if someone has a more elegant solution short of running it all via vba (which is really the legit way to do it), post it here, i'd be curious to see a better way of doing this via spreadsheet

i think i did it right (I pretty much got the right answers...)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tb0zzk26j...ff worked solution (2015-10-03 1432).zip?dl=0
Can someone please explain to me why there are 3 pages of simulations in this excel file ?

Upvote 0
if you check through the questions you'll see you need to run 3 variants to answer the questions using my method (start position, rule change, etc.)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jin kazuya

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back