Building & designing Excel models

Excel Chimp

Board Regular
I'd like to know if anyone can suggest a product or resource to get a good fundamental education on the process of building/creating Excel models.

I know that sounds broad, so let me explain. I've learned a significant amount through MrExcel products and Mike Girvin, and asking questions on the boards. These resources are great for tips and addressing specific use cases.

However, where I feel I really need to focus is the creative and design side of Excel, i.e., designing models that solve problems in an efficient and elegant way with flexibility to adapt to changing inputs and needs, rather than a hastily put together "one-off" solution. I haven't found a resource that focuses on the high-level, design and creation process.

I need to create all kinds of models, from operational metrics to financial models, budgeting tools, etc. I'm in the real estate industry.

Any direction on where to get the knowledge needed for the "next level" would be appreciated.

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Sorry no one noticed this post, but it's a farily specific forum, not often visited.

You might be better off posting in the Lounge or Excel Questions Forum on this one.

As for Real Estate models, what do you need? I have a few non-descript things that I can share if you PM me your e-mail address, but I don't do a lot in that arena. However, it's not hard to come up with a model if you know what your specifications are.

Hi

Smitty i am also appreciated ur favor.

Please Mail me i am waiting for ur favorable response/

Removed E-Mail Address - Moderator

REgards

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the response Smitty. Moderators - feel free to move this post if appropriate.

My question is more about how to get the knowledge to create and design great models from the ground up, using best practices. I was hoping there was a course or a book out there someone would recommend. I see some textbooks on Amazon but they look pretty dense and I'd rather learn with video, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back