Sample Data missing also

Dakota1051

I bought your book "Power Pivot Data Crunching (2007)". The sample data in the downloads for chapter 3 do not match up with the examples in the book. I was able to follow the beginning exercises in chapter 2 using the demo.txt file. It seems like the downloadable file is the end result of a completed chapter. Is there an area to find the sample data for the beginning of the chapter, so I can work along with the book?

Please advise.

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
This is actually a followup to my first post. Forgive me if this is not the proper procedure.

Chapters 3-4-5-7-8 all have sample files that do not match the examples in the book. chapter 6 is missing. All the files do look like an end result of the chapter. If the starting file is supposed to be created by the user, that is not stated, and clarity is missing as to what fields should be used to create the start file. These are, as noted in the book, large files. The direction given, for a teaching book, is glaringly missing.

Is there another link where the beginning files can be found?

Please advise.

Thx.

I'm just a volunteer on the forum and don't have anything to do with MrExcel shop/products as such.
However, I have checked and the 'powers that be' are aware of your problem.

For the benefit of others, the book title is "Pivot Table Data Crunching for Microsoft Office Excel 2007".

Register the book and you may be able to download the files from the Publisher's web site.

I think that the data is (almost all) there in the files but may not be exactly as used in the (final) print version.

I was able to create Figure 3.1 using data in worksheet "Sample Dataset" in PT2007Chap3.xlsx - the workbook already contains the 'pivot cache' from which the pivot table on worksheet "Sheet4" was created.

Figure 6.1 can be created using the "Sample Dataset" in PT2007Chap4.xlsx by ignoring "Business_Segment" and using "Revenue" instead of "Sales_Amount". In this case "Business_Segment", and perhaps "Sales Amount", will be found in the dataset in other workbooks but you may find that the values are different.

Looking further, I believe that the dataset in the "Sample File" at the top of the file list ("Click here to download the sample file used in most chapters. This should be the dataset used in Chapters 1, 2") will give you what you need to exactly create Figure 6.1

I'm having a similar situation where the sample code files don't match perse to the book. Which is not the end of the world, the page numbers in the sample code files are only off by a few pages, but it's a little annoying. I was wondering if there is an updated set of files somewhere that I could download. Other than that I'm quite grateful for these files. Thanks peeps!

Hello and welcome to the Board.
The latest files should always be available from the Publisher's web site.
You will find several (currently 20) reviews there so you may find help there.
Not sure what the problem is with page numbers unless you are using a PDF/Kindle version - I have seen that some people have problems with them, particular where the font/page size on the Kindle has been changed.

Derek,
Thank you for your quick answer. I must confess that I went on to the publishers website and I couldn't find a link to download the help files, only places to buy the book...but I already have the book (the paper copy not e-book). I would imagine that they wouldn't make them freely available on the site, perhaps it's a hidden page and I have to have a specific link?

Any direction/help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back