Creating Robust Sources of Data for Queries

Mischief63

Hi All. I'm setting up our financial reporting system. We'll be querying out of a Oracle Peoplesoft Database and saving files on a network drive. My plan was to have the data be placed in those folders monthly and then write the Query to retrieve data from those folders.

As I discovered today, if any files are moved or renamed, the query is toast.

Now it makes sense that the data isn't where it was original located. But people move files and rename things all the time by mistake. It looks one moved folder could paralyze the entire reporting system. You can't seem to just move it back and pick up where you left off.

This must be a common concern, how do people deal with it?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
If you rename your oracle database or server name the same thing will happen of course. The issue is that there is rarely discipline on files but there is on servers. I suggest you use import from folder, as then the file name is irrelevant. It still has to be there though. I wrote a series of blog articles a out this here Combine Excel Workbooks with Power Query – Method 1 - Excelerator BI

i also have an online training course if you are interested. Power Query for Excel and Power BI Online Training - Excelerator BI

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back