Help my PowerView dates, dear God please.

ggmu1992

I've never found an Excel problem that I couldn't solve by googling... until today. I've googled this problem for 2 hours, and I DID search this forum before posting.

I'm using power pivot with power query, and I have a workbook with more than 30 queries, more than 5 million lines of data. In this spreadsheet, the Date column automatically groups: Powerview lists 4 different fields like this:
Date
Date (Month)
Date (Quarter)
Date (Year)

These columns don't appear in my data table, but they appear in PowerView. It is great and perfect.

Today, I'm trying to make a Power View with a table with only 100 rows, and Power View won't group my dates like it did in the other workbook. I can't figure out how to fix it, and I can't find anything online. I'm desperate! Has anyone had/fixed this problem?

I'm using Excel 2016. Am going to get Power BI desktop soon, which I'm hoping will solve some of my problems, but I'd really like to solve this in Excel.

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Clarifications:
(1) The two workbooks I mentioned are totally unrelated. I was jsut pointing out that the complex one works perfectly fine, while the simple one doesn't.
(2) I know how to use Power Query to extract new Date columns, but doing this makes my data messy, and I don't want a work-around. I want to let the program work the way it is designed to.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rik81h

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back