A solution to convert Decimal to Hex

absherzad

Hi all,
I am new to Power Query, I needed to convert Decimal to Hex, here is my solution using recursive approach.
It is working like a charm, however, I have no idea if it is an optimal solution. So, comments are appreciated:

Code:
(input as number, optional string as nullable text) => 
let
	inputString = if string = null then "" else string,
	reminder = Number.Mod(input, 16),

helperString = if reminder > 9 then
            List.First(List.Select({ {10, "A"}, {11, "B"}, {12, "C"}, {13, "D"}, {14, "E"}, {15, "F"} }, each _{0} = reminder)){1} & "," & inputString
        else
            Text.From(reminder) & "," & inputString,

quotient = Number.IntegerDivide(input, 16),

finalResult = if quotient > 0 then
		@fxNumberToHex(quotient, helperString)
		else List.Accumulate(Text.Split(helperString, ","), "", (state, current) => Text.From(state) & Text.From(current) & "")
in
	finalResult

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Yes in Microsoft Excel, VBA, Java and other programming languages it is relatively easy and straight-forward. But I wanted to try that in Power Query because I had to for some reason. Therefore, I came across the solution I posted. I wanted to share with others as well as to receive others feedback for its improvement.

Upvote 0
Some time ago I created the function below, that will convert a number to any base string (binary, octal, hexadecimal, base 32, base 64) or a string to a number, given a base (16 for hexadecimal).
It uses lists instead of recursion.
In case of converting a number to a base, a minimum output length can be supplied.
The function includes full documentation. Results look good to me, but I can't give any guarantees.
Code:
let 
    Documentation =
    [Documentation.Category =    "Custom Function",
     Documentation.Description = "Function created by Bemint to convert numbers from or to a specific base",
     Documentation.Examples =    { [Description = "Convert 10 to binary",
                                   Code = "fnNumberBaseConversion(10, 2)",
                                   Result = "10100"],
                                   [Description = "Convert 123456 to hexadecimal with a result length of minimal 8",
                                   Code = "fnNumberBaseConversion(123456, 16, 8)",
                                   Result = "0001E240"]},
     Documentation.LongDescription =
                "fnNumberBaseConversion converts a number to a base string or vice versa.
                 Supported bases are 2 thru 16, 32 and 64.
                 Input is either an integer > 0 that will be converted to a base string or a base string that will be converted to a number.
                 Optionally, outputlength can be supplied to have resulting base strings padded to the desired length"],

fnNBC = (input as anynonnull, base as number, optional outputlength as number) as any =>
    let
        //    input = 10,
        //    base = 2,
        //    outputlength = null,
        Base16 = "0123456789ABCDEF",
        Base32 = "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ2345567",
        Base64 = "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789+/",
        Lookups = List.Zip({{16,32,64},{Base16,Base32,Base64}}),
        Lookup = Text.ToList(List.Last(List.Select(Lookups,each _{0} <= List.Max({16, base}))){1}),
        InputToList = Text.ToList(input),
        Result = if input is text
        then
        let
            Reversed = List.Reverse(InputToList),
            BaseValues = List.Transform(Reversed, each List.PositionOf(Lookup,_)),
            Indexed = List.Zip({BaseValues, {0..Text.Length(input)-1}}),
            Powered = List.Transform(Indexed, each _{0}*Number.Power(base,_{1})),
            Decimal = List.Sum(Powered)
        in
            Decimal
        else
        let
            Elements = 1+Number.RoundDown(Number.Log(input,base),0),
            Powers = List.Transform(List.Reverse({0..Elements - 1}), each Number.Power(base,_)),
            ResultString = List.Accumulate(Powers,
                                          [Remainder = input,String = ""], 
                                          (c,p) => [Remainder = c[Remainder] - p * Number.RoundDown(c[Remainder] / p,0),
                                                    String = c[String] & Lookup{Number.RoundDown(c[Remainder]/p,0)}])[String],    
            PaddedResultString = if outputlength = null then ResultString else Text.PadStart(ResultString,outputlength,Lookup{0})
        in
            PaddedResultString
    in
        Result,
    // Create FunctionType with metadata at function type level:
    FunctionType = Type.ForFunction([ReturnType = type any, Parameters = [input = type anynonnull, base = type number, outputlength = type number]], 2) meta Documentation,
    fnNumberBaseConversion = Value.ReplaceType(fnNBC,FunctionType)
in
    fnNumberBaseConversion

Upvote 0
Just noticed a small error in Base32: "5" is duplicated, so it should be:
Code:
Base32 = "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ234567",

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moonlight6

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back