Unique Values from Column 1 convert Column 2 into Rows

Craigc3814

Board Regular
I have transformed my data as far as I can get and probably as inefficiently as possible but I am so close to what I want.

In column 1 (Address) I have a list of all address' in column 2 (Activity) I have a list of all activities that happened at that address and column 3 (Count.1) I just added to try and pivot the data it isn't necessary other wise it just counts the distinct amount of activities at a given address.

So when I group I get the same address in every row for each activity that took place. So if 1 address had 15 Activities it creates 15 rows. What I want it to do is give me 1 row for each address and a column for each Activity.

If I pivot the data it creates tons of rows because there are a ton of activity codes, most of them are null. Is there a way I can just create columns for the activities that actually happened at an address?

Below is my very choppy code.

let
Source = Table.NestedJoin(#"Time Keeping",{"Work Order .1"},#"Work Orders",{"Work Order Number"},"NewColumn",JoinKind.Inner),
#"Expanded NewColumn1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Source, "NewColumn", {"Work Order Number", "Activity", "Asset Type", "STNO", "PreDir", "Address", "Suffix", "Zip Code", "Map #", "Assigned To", "Initiated", "Scheduled Start", "Scheduled Finish", "Due", "Closed", "Maintenance Type", "Priority", "Problem", "Sub Area", "Responsibility", "Service Request #"}, {"Work Order Number", "Activity", "Asset Type", "STNO", "PreDir", "Address", "Suffix", "Zip Code", "Map #", "Assigned To", "Initiated", "Scheduled Start", "Scheduled Finish", "Due", "Closed", "Maintenance Type", "Priority", "Problem", "Sub Area", "Responsibility", "Service Request #"}),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded NewColumn1",{{"Date", type date}, {"Initiated", type date}, {"Scheduled Start", type date}, {"Scheduled Finish", type date}, {"Due", type date}, {"Closed", type date}}),
#"Merged Columns" = Table.CombineColumns(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type", {{"STNO", type text}}, "en-US"),{"STNO", "PreDir", "Address", "Suffix"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter(" ", QuoteStyle.None),"Merged"),
#"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Merged Columns",{{"Merged", "Address"}}),
#"Cleaned Text" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Renamed Columns",{{"Address", Text.Clean}}),
#"Trimmed Text" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Cleaned Text",{{"Address", Text.Trim}}),
#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Trimmed Text", "Open or Closed?", each if [Closed] = null then "Open" else "Closed"),
#"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom",{{"Hours", type number}}),
#"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type1", {"Address", "Activity"}, {{"Count", each Table.RowCount(Table.Distinct(_)), type number}}),
#"Grouped Rows1" = Table.Group(#"Grouped Rows", {"Address"}, {{"Count", each _, type table}}),
#"Expanded Count" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Grouped Rows1", "Count", {"Activity", "Count"}, {"Activity", "Count.1"})
in
#"Expanded Count"

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
I'm not sure I fully understand, but when you Pivot data, a row will be created/kept if there is at least 1 column that has a value. If you have 100 columns and only 1 has a value, the other 99 will be null. Conceptually, what else are you expecting?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Et_Cetera

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back