Need DAX formula help (month over month)

TicaTorch1

Hi All
Can anyone help me create a measure for "month over month % change"? I have all the $ in a column as "Claims [transaction amount]". I have a dates map column too and have them linked. I tried =sum(claims[transaction amount])-previousmonth([claim date])/[transaction amount]).

Desired result: current month transaction amount - previous month transaction amount / current month transaction amount.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
So I got the desired result for current month $ - prev month $, using =sum(claims[trans Amount])-Calculate(Sum(Claims[trans amount]),Parallelperiod(Claims[date],-1,month)).

But how can I factor in "divide by previous month" in this measure?

Upvote 0
Thank you.. it gives me a valid calculation on the powerpivot, but on my (slicer) pivot table, its returns a #NUM in my columns. Would I need to format that somehow.

Upvote 0
On my pivot table:
Months in Column
Total Transactions $ in Values
MoM% (that you provided) in Values. It gives me a % of the grand total of transactions but doesn't break out to months.

Upvote 0
Not sure if this would help, but I have made many MoM% fields. The way I did it was to create mutliple caluclated measures and build up the MoM% change measure.

Total_Claims:=SUM( claims[transaction amount] )

PM_Total_Claims:=CALCULATE( Total_Claims, DatesAdd( Dim_Calendar[Date], -1, months ) )

MOM_Change:= [Total Claims] - [PM_Total_Claims]

MOM_%_Change:= IFERROR( MOM_Change / PM_Total_Claims, BLANK())

I may have butchered the syntax on the DatesAdd function.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you so much, this help greatly! Although, I also needed a "current month total claims" too. My % is not coming out right because it's calculating from the TOTAL CLAIMS (which hold prior months). Can you give me a formula for "current month" also taking in account that if TODAY is used, it will reflect the system clock. So for example, this is what I need.

Total Claims (has prior months and future month will be added)
Current month (sept) - if TODAY is used, it will look for October that doesn't exist yet and return "zero"
Prior month (aug)

Upvote 0
I hear what you are saying but have never implemented anything myself for Current_Month_Total. I have always may the measure like Total_Claims and them either used a filter on the PivotTable or the row/column context to limit the PivotTable to not show future months.

You may find this website helpful: http://www.daxpatterns.com/time-patterns/

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ksonnia

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back