Make a date from Excel be the source for a Query

DRSteele

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Can someone please help me?

I wish to have the date in my ExcelTable become the source for a PQ Query. I can then change the date in H2 and the query will get the standings for that date. How do I create the parameter and then use it as the source?

My Table is called T_NHL_Standings

GHI
1NHL_DateNHL_Address
210/13/2017http://www1.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?date=10/13/2017&season=20172018&type=lea

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Q_Data

Worksheet Formulas
CellFormula
I2="http://www1.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?date="&TEXT(H2,"mm/dd/yyyy")&"&season=20172018&type=lea"

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
If you make H2 named range "NLH_Range", then you can create a parameter record "Prm" in Power Query with query "Prm":

Code:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="NHL_Date"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type date}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Name", each "NLH_Date"),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Added Custom",{{"Column1", "Value"}}),
    RecordFromTable = Record.FromTable(#"Renamed Columns")
in
    RecordFromTable

You can then use the parameter in your query to get the data from the web:

Code:
Source = Web.Page(Web.Contents("http://www1.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?date=" & Date.ToText(Prm[NLH_Date],"MM/dd/yyyy") & "season=20172018&type=lea")),

And proceed from there.

Note: when you get a Formula.Firewall error, you need to adjust the Privacy options to ignore the Privacy levels.

Upvote 0
Marcel, thank you very much. It worked just fine with the exception that the named range should have been NHL_Date (not NLH_Range as you had mistyped). You were right that I had to adjust the privacy settings for the website being queried.

I was tinkering around and I found that I could also have used my original table (called T_NHL_Standings) by creating a text query and then passing that into the source line by using a text function - I chose Text.From and it seemed to work.

So I created a query called QText_NHL_Standings and loaded it as a connection only.

Code:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="T_NHL_Standings"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"NHL_Date", type datetime}, {"NHL_Address", type text}}),
    NHL_Standings_Date = Record.Field(Source{0},"NHL_Address")
in
    NHL_Standings_Date

Then I created another query called Q_NHL_Standings and loaded it to the workbook.

Code:
let
    Source = Web.Page(Web.Contents(Text.From(QText_NHL_Standings))),
    Data0 = Source{0}[Data],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Data0,{{"", Int64.Type}, {"2", type text}, {"DIV", type text}, {"GP", Int64.Type}, {"W", Int64.Type}, {"L", Int64.Type}, {"OT", Int64.Type}, {"P", Int64.Type}, {"ROW", type text}, {"GF", Int64.Type}, {"GA", Int64.Type}, {"Diff", type text}, {"Home", type text}, {"Away", type text}, {"S/O", type text}, {"L10", type text}, {"Streak", type text}}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type",{{"", "Rank"}, {"2", "Team"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns"

Now I can adjust that date and retrieve the standings very easily. Super! Thanks for the help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prabhuk279

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back