Paramaterized Power Query/PowerPivot data import problem

monsoonnut

Hi I have created a powerpivot report in Excel 2016 that imports data from several parameterized SQL Stored Procedures.
The purpose it to allow individual users to only view relevant data; the model is quite data heavy so I want to limit the number of records at source.

I have created 2 versions of the report both of which have problems:

Version 1: Created using power query to send the parameters - this works well but most users have Internet Explorer 8 and are unable to update to IE 11 as it is not compatible with some legacy sytems so they cannot refresh the data.

Version 2: Created importing the data directly into Powerpivot - I have tried to use VBA to update the parameterized queries but I cannot work out if there is a way to do this as the connection command text is greyed out and I can't find a way to update the table properties in the powerpivot model.

I guess my question is, is there a way to import data without using PowerQuery in Excel 2016 (as I would have done in Excel 2013) so I can amend the connections with VBA or have I entered a bit of a data black hole?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
If you have SQL, do you have SSAS? If so you could just create your model there and use RLS to control who sees what.

Otherwise, I suppose there is no chance of getting your users Power BI? Then you could use Power BI templates.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sweeberry

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back