Why does Power Query SUCK?

Crazy Dazz

I have linked our workbook to a small workbook containing pricing data. Nothing huge, a couple of tables, Maybe a thousand pieces of data in total. (4 tables, 50 rows by 50 columns each.)
I could have done this simply using direct links, index/match, etc. And in my experience the update would have been very quick.

So why does Power Query suck?
If I try to refresh these tables, and I'm lucky, it takes around 5 minutes for each table.
If I try to refresh all, it simply hangs.

Strangely, it says it is refreshing in the background, but actually hangs all of Excel.

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Power Query doesn’t suck! Sounds like something is wrong. Where are the source files located? On your pc or on a network drive? Are you doing any manipulation on the data?

Upvote 0
Power Query doesn’t suck! Sounds like something is wrong. Where are the source files located? On your pc or on a network drive? Are you doing any manipulation on the data?
Yes, whats wrong is that Power Query sucks!

Both files currently reside in the same directory on my SSD. Data file is only ~113kb.
No manipulation, just straight import into tables.

Upvote 0
Do you have 64-bit Excel? It shouldn't make a difference for your small dataset but it might. Also check the privacy settings on the queries.

Also, 50 columns is a lot of data. Is the query only importing 50? Sometimes PowerQuery pulls in many more columns than I think there's data - dunno what makes it think that, but be sure you're only pulling in the columns you need.

Upvote 0
Hard to say without knowing a little more. Please advise regarding:

What version of Excel are you using?

Can you put a link to some sample data? or possible a link to a copy of your M code?

P3Tom

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GBCTeacher

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back