Addcolumn -dax

eitanhcs

Hi,
i would like to start using the Summarize and ADD Column formulas.
i managed to create to use the formula that will create new virtual columns for me but i dont understand how to use them

for example: i have created the below formula that create a virtual table with 8 columns ( Sales Current Year,Sales Last Year,Qty Current Year,Qty LY,Current Avg Price,LY Avg Price,Qty_Diff,Price_Diff)
now i want,for example, to present in a table the Sum of the virtual column :Price_Diff
how can i use this column?
thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------

Z-TTest Summerize = var Summmarize_ByItem= SUMMARIZE('IT-Sales Transactions','IT-Sales Transactions'[Item Num])
var CurrentAvgPrice=[Sales Current Year]/[Sales Qty Current Year]
var LastAvgPrice=[Sales Last Year]/[Sales Qty Last Year]
var QtyDiff=[Sales Qty Current Year]-[Sales Qty Last Year]

return

ADDCOLUMNS(Summmarize_ByItem,
"Sales Current Year",[Sales Current Year],
"Sales Last Year",[Sales Last Year],
"Qty Current Year",[Sales Qty Current Year],
"Qty LY",[Sales Qty Last Year],
"Current Avg Price",IF([Sales Qty Current Year]=BLANK(),BLANK(),[Sales Current Year]/[Sales Qty Current Year]),
"LY Avg Price",IF([Sales Qty Last Year]=BLANK(),BLANK(),[Sales Last Year]/[Sales Qty Last Year]),
"Qty_Diff",IF([Sales Qty Current Year]=BLANK() || [Sales Qty Last Year]=BLANK(),[Sales Current Year]-[Sales Last Year],([Sales Qty Current Year]-[Sales Qty Last Year])*([Sales Last Year]/[Sales Qty Last Year])),
"Price_Diff",IF([Sales Qty Current Year]=BLANK() || [Sales Qty Last Year]=BLANK(),0,([Sales Current Year]/[Sales Qty Current Year]-[Sales Last Year]/[Sales Qty Last Year])*[Sales Qty Current Year]),"Qty Var",1)

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
ADDCOLUMNS is a DAX Query function - it is designed to be used at run time when creating virtual tables. You can't materialise these tables in Excel - you can only do that in a query tool like DAX studio or SSMS (or even New Table in Power BI). It is not wrong to do it they way you are doing it, but I do wonder why you are taking this approach vs a more traditional BI approach. Eg if you did this in Excel, you could write all these measures, create a pivot table with your items on the rows and add your measures to the pivot table.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks,
i mainly tried it this way to learn these functions, i have created the new table in Power BI "New Table" and made sure it looks the way i think it should look

what i am trying to do is to create a var formula which is basically a calculation of (Q1-Q0)*P0 for every line(summarized to the item level) and then sum them up to have the total Quantity Var
i thought that add column can help me do it in a measure without relaying on a physical table.

if this not the proper use of this formula, in which cases it is recommended to use ADDCOLUMNS?
thanks

Upvote 0
I can't really say if it is proper use or not, just that it is not how I would normally use it. Also it is very difficult to read code like yours without the context of what you are doing. I normally do such work myself live in Dax studio building one piece of the puzzle at a time. If I ever have to debug, I normally have to re-start the process in DAX studio to work out what I did. For this reason it is very hard for me to comment on your code.

Also FYI

Regarding this line...

"Current Avg Price",IF([Sales Qty Current Year]=BLANK(),BLANK(),[Sales Current Year]/[Sales Qty Current Year]),

is identical to this line

"Current Avg Price",DIVIDE([Sales Current Year],[Sales Qty Current Year]),

This is exactly what the DIVIDE function does - checks for divide by zero errors

Same applies to the other divide rows in your code

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JAMES KECULAH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back