I need to sort a Cryptocurrency table on a field that has numbers entered as Text. How do I do this?

Course

Board Regular
I am importing this table https://www.investing.com/crypto/currencies into Excel using Power Query.

The column named Market Cap is entered as Text.

All caps greater than 1 Billion are Large Caps, < 1 billion and > 200 million are mid caps and < 200 million are small caps.

I need to either sort the Table based on the size of the market Cap or create a new column that shows whether the Market Cap field was Large,Mid or Small.

How can i do this using Power Query without affecting the real time data?

Thank you

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
make an extra column to convert the string field:
=VALUE(A2)

then sort this col.

The market Cap field is in the E column. Value(E2) doesn't work, it returns error #VALUE !

Btw when you say to add an extra column, do I do this through the edit query or manually enter it. If i manually enter it will it affect the real time query updates

Upvote 0
If you wanted to get the numerical values for the Market Cap column you could add a custom column with this formula.

= if Text.End([Market Cap],1) = "B" then
100000000 * Number.FromText(Text.Range([Market Cap],1, Text.Length([Market Cap])-2))
else
1000000 * Number.FromText(Text.Range([Market Cap],1, Text.Length([Market Cap])-2))

You would do that in the query editor by selecting Custom Column on the Add Column.

If you want to categorize the Market Cap into Large, Mid and Small this formula could be expanded and/or you could add another custom column.

Upvote 0
If you wanted to get the numerical values for the Market Cap column you could add a custom column with this formula.

100000000 * Number.FromText(Text.Range([Market Cap],1, Text.Length([Market Cap])-2))
else
1000000 * Number.FromText(Text.Range([Market Cap],1, Text.Length([Market Cap])-2))

You would do that in the query editor by selecting Custom Column on the Add Column.

If you want to categorize the Market Cap into Large, Mid and Small this formula could be expanded and/or you could add another custom column.

Thats a great help, Ive added a new column showing the numerical values.

Ive tried to add a second column showing the levels. I tried using these formulas but they dont work
Code:
=if([CapInDollars]>=1000000000 then "Large") Else[CapInDollars]<200000000 then "Small" Else "Mid")

Code:
=if([CapInDollars]>=1000000000,"Large",If([CapInDollars]<200000000,"Small","Mid"))

Can you help with the code.
Many thanks for helping out

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I used this to categorise the CapInDollars column.

if [CapInDollars] <= 2000000 then "Low" else if [CapInDollars] > 2000000 and [CapInDollars] < 1000000000 then "Medium" else "High"

Upvote 0
I used this to categorise the CapInDollars column.

if [CapInDollars] <= 2000000 then "Low" else if [CapInDollars] > 2000000 and [CapInDollars] < 1000000000 then "Medium" else "High"

Worked perfectly. Are the formulas for Power Query written like in VBA, they dont seemas intuitive as the formulas for the spreadsheet itself?

Thanks very much for doing up the formulas, you have been a a great help

btw how do I leave you thanks in the icon under your profile on the left?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

else

Just in case anyone uses the formula above, I Forgot to mention that the number for B in the formula above should include another 0. Ive marked it in bold below
if Text.End([Market Cap],1) = "B" then
1000000000 * Number.FromText(Text.Range([Market Cap],1, Text.Length([Market Cap])-2))
else

Upvote 0
I'm always forgetting how many 0s there should be for billions, should have mentioned I wasn't sure when I posted the formulas.:)

Upvote 0
I'm always forgetting how many 0s there should be for billions, should have mentioned I wasn't sure when I posted the formulas.:)

No problem, Ive never had the need to write a billion before:)

It didnt look right in the column so I use google to check the figures

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back