Not sure if I can achieve this with PowerPivot any insights welcome

Mr Excelinator

Hello all.

I'll explain what I'm trying to do, I'm unsure if I can achieve this with Power Pivot, I'm fairly new to PPvt & gotten to grip with the basics.

So my source data looks like the below, which is many 000s of rows, formatted as a table & is in my data model.
Data SourcePerson IDValue AValue BValue C
FY16 1012345650100150
FY17 1112345675125175
FY17 11654321100150200

<tbody>
</tbody>

What I want to do with it is generate a report something akin to the below:

Data Source:FY17 11FY16 10FY17 11FY17 11
Person IDValue AValue AValue B

<tbody>
</tbody>

So I am creating a report where the main population will be selected from data source eg FY1711 and I can compare the Value data sets, by their data source, like the above, so A vs A, A vs B etc cut by the Data Source.

If anyone has any advice on how to achieve this (power pivot or otherwise) be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Stu.

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
I suggest you unpivot the last 3 columns into an attribute and value column.

Source, person, attribute, value
Fy17 11,123456,Value A, 50
etc

Use Power Query for that. This will give you a table of Data that can be used in a pivot table to build anything you need.

Upvote 0
Thank you Matt I see the real value in unpivot & creating attribute & value column. As sais I'm fairly new into this but really liking what I See.

The bit I am struggling with after that, is how to in effect create a 'selective' report, using a pivot table to get me what I need, which cherry picks the attribute variants I want to compare,

In my example you see I wanted to create a 'report' comparing selected data source/value combinations from my dataset, in the example I took two data sources from Value A, and one data source from value B (extrapolate that to 1000's of data source variants & 100s of value sets) - hope you can see my issue,

What I have been able to create is a pivot table with all of the data in it, but struggling to get the above accomplished as a neat report.

If you have any ideas most welcome,
Thanks in advance.
Stu

Upvote 0
I don’t really understand the issue a simple I don’t know what is not shown. All I can see is a table with 3 rows and 3 columns of data displayed in a different way. I couldn’t really comment without seeing a scale example with use cases.

Upvote 0
I think i see what your going for. For the "Person ID's that were member of the "FY17 11" data set, what were their values in select data sources and "Values A" B etc.
You need to a Table to indicate member by DataSource for each person.
I am seeing two different tables generated by PowerQuery and likely the need for PowerPivot to combine the desired data for your columns correctly.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thietbibeboiwasaco

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back