Best mobile workstation to run Excel 2016 PowerQuery and Powerpivot?

SOQLee

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Seeking laptop recommendations. I’m currently on an XPS27 AIO which is a 64-bit operating system, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770S CPU @ 3.10 GHz with 16.0 GB installed RAM.

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Sounds great what you have. Importance, in order

1. 64 bit Office
2. Clockspeed
3. Memory, with fast cache
4. Disk speed comes last.

You pc sounds perfect.

Upvote 0
The PC is perfect, but I need a laptop. I haven't worked on a laptop in a long time. Looking at the Dell XPS 15 or Lattitude 15.6 and wondering how these rate.

Upvote 0
Dell, if that's your preferred brand. Intel i5 (quad core), core count more for overall system performance than PowerBI.
Then just focus on the processor, since that usually dictates the other factors. Memory should be DDR4 (can't imagine a 7th or 8th gen not paired to DDR4)
One thing to look at is the core clock and cooling. Sounds like a gaming machine analysis. You shouldn't be hitting the processor hard enough/long enough to worry about thermal throttling, but many laptops throttle the CPU for battery life.
Because they sell 4k on those, still say no to 4k. Its of little relevance at that size of screen, no matter how great video may look on it.
I picked up Lenovo Flex5 15" recently, as an all around with i5.

Upvote 0
I've asked for a laptop screamer from my corporate IT department. We're an HP shop so they've recommended the ZBook Studio G4 Xeon E3-1505MV6 with as much RAM as it will hold. It's over $2,000 so I have to sell my boss on it <g>.

Upvote 0
I've asked for a laptop screamer from my corporate IT department. We're an HP shop so they've recommended the ZBook Studio G4 Xeon E3-1505MV6 with as much RAM as it will hold. It's over $2,000 so I have to sell my boss on it <g>.

"Selling the boss." The right machine shouldn't be much of a sell as the right machine will save on your time, which is far more expensive than any computer of the life of the computer. A seemingly small increase in performance, when spread out over the three years of use will easily justify a more expensive computer.
So, its not just how much the computer cost to acquire, but how much does it cost to use?

https://powerpivotpro.com/2015/10/the-high-cost-of-poor-equipment/</g>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, I'd certainly like to think I'm worth it! But we have 100+ people in the department, almost all of whom could use new machines. Though they don't necessarily do the same thing I do their contributions are also important. Our budget won't cover 10% of our people's tech needs this year. So yes, I have to sell the value.

Of course, what I'd really like to sell is another analyst FTE and farm the work and the machine to him or her, but that's even more expensive!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocbudda

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back