PowerPivot - Import data and append new data on a daily basis

bolwahnn

Hey Guys (and Gals),

I currently have a daily report that imports data (in table form) from a file that is placed into network folder every morning (I did this using Powerquery). So, everyday I go into my report, hit refresh, and the table is automatically updated from the file sitting on the network with the new data.

What I want to do now is import the data into PowerPivot, but append the new data (instead of overwrite the old data) when I hit refresh so that I can start reporting Daily, Weekly and Monthly (instead of just daily). Can someone please help in walking me through how I can make this happen???

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.

Thanks for this info Matt, however, I'm not seeing exactly what I need.....I currently use PowerQuery to pull in a CSV report from a folder on the network. This report on the network is updated daily with new stats from the previous day - When I refresh my report (on a daily basis) the old data is overwritten with the new data on the network report. I'm looking for the ability to have the new data append to the old data each day I refresh (not overwrite the old data).

Is this possible?

Upvote 0
I currently use PowerQuery to pull in a CSV report from a folder on the network. This report on the network is updated daily with new stats from the previous day

Where is this CSV report coming from? It sounds like somebody put together a script to place that report in that folder on a daily basis. If your PQ model is updating with updated data my guess is that whoever wrote that script is not creating/generating new files with every iteration of that script but rather overwriting the previous days file.

Upvote 0
That is correct, the previous days file is overwritten every day with a new file.

Any idea on how to append these files into the data model?

Upvote 0
Power Query doesn't store or overwrite data it just brings the data into your model. It's the source file that's being overwritten. Email a copy of that CSV file to your IT department and let them know that you would like to change the production parameters to include the production date; so, "report.csv" will be "report 5-12-2018.csv" and the next day will be "report 5-13-2018.csv" and so on. And then ask if they can run a historical report with the items prior to the parameter change. The reports will begin to accumulate in that folder and you will need to refer to Matt's post to create a query that will bring in everything in that folder. Also, that's the perfect opportunity to request any additional changes that you'd like to see, so if you wish that the report had additional fields that's the time to ask.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kj9

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back