Excel Power query performance / memory errors

piannetta

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I have a spreadsheet, file size just over 2MB, file contains about a dozen queries. Not a huge amount of data, some table joins but not overly complex.

What I've started to find is that when refreshing the queries, the memory usage (looking at Windows Resource Monitor) jumps rapidly from about 190mb up to 2.5GB, even if I just refresh one of the queries.

It was popping up file corruption errors at one point, so I created a new spreadsheet and I'm still having the same problems.

It was working fine and I'm frustrated that I can't seem to identify an offender for these recent issues.

Would appreciate any tips on how I can diagnose these issues.

I'm also looking to upgrade my Excel to 64-bit to see if that helps, but ideally, I'd like to find the root cause of the problem. I'm currently using Excel 2016 (16.0.9330.2124) 32-bit

Cheers,
Pete

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
I was running into this problem at the worst possible times. Fortunately, Ken Puls explained what was happening to me.
I needed to select Power_Query.Options.Data_Load and UN-check: Allow data preview to download in the background.
Evidently, that option is inaccurately described. It implies that only the current query's preview will be downloaded, when actually the previews for all queries are downloaded whenever any query is edited.

Does that help in your situation?

Upvote 0
Hi Ron, thanks for your quick reply. I've changed that setting, and so far so good. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertJones1986

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back