Duplicates error when linking two tables on Power Pivot

stevenk331

Hi. My apologies for asking a question that seems to get asked frequently. However, I was not able to figure out a solution from the previous posts, and I have not been able to find a video on the Mr. Excel or ExcelisFun youtube pages that go over "Duplicates" errors in Power Pivot. I am hoping someone can help me with this issue. I am relatively new to using Power Pivot so I have a number of things I cannot figure out. My situation is as follows, my problem will become clear once you understand the situation. Sorry for the long explanation, but I don't know how else to explain it.

I am combining data from 3 sources/tables to create a Pivot Table I can use to create journal entries I can upload to an accounting system for one of my clients (I do their bookkeeping). Normally, I would just journal the entries one-by-one manually, but in this particular case, my client has HUNDREDS of transactions and it would take a significant amount of time vs 20-30 minutes by the method I am trying. The first table is a lookup table of account numbers and client names. The second table is an Excel spreadsheet from the primary vendor which I converted to a table with details on all the transactions with my client. The third is a comma delimited file from the bank with all the transactions. The purpose of the first, the client name lookup table, is because the vendor spreadsheet only shows the "client #", and I need to include the name of the client for my accounting purposes in the journal entries to identify them easier later if I need to find a specific transaction for a specific client of the company in the accounting system. I had no problem linking the first two in Power Pivot, and I had no problem creating data models for all 3 and getting them into Power Pivot.

The "center" is the vendor spreadsheet. The issue is when I try to link the bank transactions to the vendor spreadsheet. The bank transactions only contains 4 columns, i.e. - date, amount, check #, description. I tried to "connect" the dates because obviously, on the bank side, I only see the net transactions related to the vendor which is how I can identify the detail on a specific date. For example, the vendor may have multiple products, some fees, then tax, and the net or total of the invoice. I can use the net or total amount from the bank on a specific date to find the detail which goes below from the vendor on the same date. The problem I get is the duplicate error when I try to link the vendor and bank table. I believe the issue is with the "Check #" column from the bank because it contains mostly blank or "null" cells as only a few checks are written from time-to-time. There are no blank rows, however, I can have a couple hundred transactions in a single month, and only 4-5 actual checks so I will have rows and rows of transactions with no check number or a null field, then a check #, and then dozens more transactions without a check #, etc.

Since it is possible that over a number of months, there can be multiple transaction from the vendor that are for the same amount (although rarely), I need to use the dates to be able to match the correct amount with the vendor detail for the correct date, etc. I am not sure how to fix the problem or perhaps there is a different issue that I am not seeing, but the blank check field is the only one that occurs to me. Does it make sense that a "null" field in a table would be the cause of the "duplicates" issue?

I actually could replicate the information from the vendor table without the bank data, but there is another problem I have been having using Pivot Tables in general and Power Pivot that I have not been able to figure out so the Power Pivot so far has seemed to work best. I have looked at DOZENS of the Mr. Excel and ExcelisFun videos, but I have not been able to figure it out. I would rather not go into another lengthy explanation on that issue.

I hope you can help me with this issue. Thank you again!

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
If I read your question correctly I think your problem may be a Many-To-Many relationship in your dates.

Try creating another table of unique dates.

And use this to bridge your vendor transactions and back report.

There may be a better way but without samples of your data and expected output this would be extremly difficult.

Upvote 0
Many thanks for your response. Yes, the issue is the Many-to-Many relationship. The problem is that I cannot create a table with unique dates because that would be how the data is selected from the pivot table by pulling the correct amount from the correct date to match with the vendor data on the same date. Nevertheless, I am trying to experiment with other ideas or options.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back