Power Query - unpivot quantity and values

chriscorpion786

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All,

I have the below data set, and the problem is that quantity and value is dumped by columns, and there are around 50 columns of quantity and value by each store. How can I arrange this in a tabular format and summarize by store / category with quantity and value. I have to select each store separately 50 times for the quantity and then unpivot it and same for the value. Is there a faster solution ? and how can i make the summary by quantity and value together.

Is there a way I can attach a file if needed.
Location11006 Bin Sougat11006 Bin Sougat11014 Dubai Airport Concourse D11014 Dubai Airport Concourse D
PartnoDescriptionBusiness CatProd GrpBrandQtyValueQtyValue
B2BOB22104CAFLON UK ASSORTED STERELISED STUDS FOR BABIES665762;HEALTHCARE117830;EYE/EAR CARE922017;CAFLON UK4971753635.862
B2BOB22111(**)CAFLON UK ASSORTED STERELISED STUDS665762;HEALTHCARE117830;EYE/EAR CARE922017;CAFLON UK853340702450
B2BOB22520315MALIBU TROP SKIN SELF-TAN BRONZ SPRAY 175ML1018811;PERSONAL CARE442514;SUN PREPARATION557833;MALIBU
B2BOB22520345MALIBU MLIGHT SHIMER BRONZ SELF-TAN LTN 150ML1018811;PERSONAL CARE442514;SUN PREPARATION557833;MALIBU
B2BOB22520530MALIBU ALOE AFTER SUN GEL SPRAY 175ML1018811;PERSONAL CARE442514;SUN PREPARATION557833;MALIBU

<colgroup><col><col><col><col><col><col span="2"><col span="2"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Thanks, Mustafa

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
With your sample data in an Excel Table named Table2....
These are the Power Query steps I used to transform your data so it summarizes by quantity and value by location:
Code:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table2"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}, {"Column2", type text}, {"Column3", type text}, {"Column4", type text}, {"Location", type text}, {"11006 Bin Sougat", type any}, {"11006 Bin Sougat5", type any}, {"11014 Dubai Airport Concourse D", type any}, {"11014 Dubai Airport Concourse D6", type any}}),
    #"Demoted Headers" = Table.DemoteHeaders(#"Changed Type"),
    #"Transposed Table" = Table.Transpose(#"Demoted Headers"),
    #"Merged Columns" = Table.CombineColumns(#"Transposed Table",{"Column1", "Column2"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter("|", QuoteStyle.None),"Merged"),
    #"Transposed Table1" = Table.Transpose(#"Merged Columns"),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Transposed Table1", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Promoted Headers", {"Column1|Partno", "Column2|Description", "Column3|Business Cat", "Column4|Prod Grp", "Location|Brand"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Unpivoted Other Columns", "Index", 0, 1),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Index", "ColSeq", each Number.Mod([Index],2)),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"Index"}),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Removed Columns", "Attribute", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("|", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Attribute.1"}),
    #"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Split Column by Delimiter", "Custom", each if [ColSeq] = 1 then Text.Start([Attribute.1],Text.Length([Attribute.1])-1) else [Attribute.1] ),
    #"Removed Columns1" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Conditional Column",{"Attribute.1"}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Removed Columns1", {{"ColSeq", type text}}, "en-US"), List.Distinct(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Removed Columns1", {{"ColSeq", type text}}, "en-US")[ColSeq]), "ColSeq", "Value", List.Sum)
in
    #"Pivoted Column"
Is that something you can work with?

Upvote 0
Hi Ron,
Thanks for that, but I dont work with M code as i dont understand it.
I wonder if someone could list out the steps, would be great to try it and solve.

Rgds,
Mustafa

Upvote 0
Most of the steps were created by the interface....But, because of your requirements and data structure, some tweaking is necessary. (Sometimes there's no avoiding some of the technical aspects of a tool)

Just create a blank query....Open the Advanced Editor window...Paste in the code I posted. Then click "Done". You'll see each of the steps.

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mesh

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back