Adding calculated columns to tables returned from Power Query

andydtaylor

Office Version
  1. 2016
Is there a way to make this work?

Scenario: Table of variable height is returned from Power Query to Excel workbook. For visible audit purposes ONLY some calculations are added to this table before it is sucked back into power query. This is because my manager freaks at an if statement in Power Query.....

Usual excel functionality is for a formula to be extended down when new table rows are added. However this does not appear to be the case for tables returned from Power Query. Is there a way to make this work? VBA is a no-go.

Thanks,

Andy

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
You could add this column directly with Power Query? If it is an easy calculation then you can do it straight from the User Interface, don't let your Boss be too bossy ;)

Upvote 0
I'm afraid I'm going to have to go with the misuse of Power Query. At least at this time. I have found a solution. If you go to the table properties in Design you can check a "preserve column sort/filter/layout" option. If you *then and only then" add your extra worksheet calculated column the formulas will extend/contract as power query data is refreshed. This gives me an easy path to a visual audit trail which steps back the high-tech of Power Query enough that I hope it will prove acceptable.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennlynn

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back