Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All,

New to VB & even newer to using power query,
I have set up a connection to a sql data base and carryout a rough quick filer of most of the junk I do not require. This is shown in a tab ("data") for example

I wish then to filter further down this list by looking for keywords then this would then populate tabs 1 - 8 for example
I don't have a clue how to do this I have done I with multiple connections one on each tab but this made my sheet massive. 15 meg + and was very slow

any ideas

can you please explain any code as I am still finding my feet and prefer to know how and why things are done

Steve

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Steve,
Power Query is a great tool for repeatedly running the exact same procedure. If the keywords are unique each time the file is run Power Query may not be the appropriate tool. Assuming the keywords remain the same, building the query through the editor is very similar to filtering within a table. The best resource I have seen is a book by Ken Puls, M Is For (Data) Monkeys. The size of the size of the sheets should not be an issue. I routinely use Power Query to work through folders with 1000+ spreadsheets with no problem. Again the real advantage comes from writing a routine that will be run exactly the same over time. Hopefully this helps explain the purpose, but without a small sample of the data it would be difficult to recommend some code.

Upvote 0
Hi znoxide
Thank you for your reply

what my sheet is used for is generating quotes i look at a sql database that contains all of the stock parts and prices etc.
i filter all of the junk that is contained in the data base that i dont need.
I wish to have live data ie upto date prices, stock levels etc hence why i am looking at the sql data

I look at "product group codes" ie battery, cable, switch, lamp, labour rates etc then i put these in groups in various tabs so that they are easy to find as the parts inventory is some 3500 items long.

hope this gives you an idea of what i am trying to do.

Steve

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back